It's time to watch the birds! w/video

Scout'nStripers

I got out early this morning and headed up lake. I noticed a few gulls circling and diving around some loons in a bay. I cruised over and started marking a few stripers on the graph. Here's a little video of what happened next.

Coenen

That strike, though! Brutal!

61BelAir

Hit right at the boat. Did they keep biting or shut down after that one? From the looks of things they were still chasing bait while you were reeling him in.

Scout'nStripers

That strike, though! Brutal!
Man, I was burning the heck outta that Sebile back to the boat to cast over to those surfacing fish when that striper hit. He smashed that thing.

Hit right at the boat. Did they keep biting or shut down after that one? From the looks of things they were still chasing bait while you were reeling him in.
They scooted outta that cove as soon as I caught that one but I managed to catch one more small one out of that group before they all left.

Papa Bear

Great video. Nothing more exciting than seeing birds after bait fish and then being rewarded with a hook up.

Scout'nStripers

Heck ya great video jim!
Thanks Jonboater.

Great video. Nothing more exciting than seeing birds after bait fish and then being rewarded with a hook up.
Yep, I like it when it works out.

Speaking of baitfish, yesterday I watched something that was pretty cool. There was a loon right beside my boat that had a little school of threadfin corralled on the surface. It was pretty cool to watch the loon circle the little bait ball and then dart through it. He would start circling them again till he got the ball real tight and run through it. The loon did this over and over till there were hardly any threadfin left in the ball. The little threads were 1-2 inches in length.

Tmpr111

I assume that's the older model Magic Swimmer? I've not tried the generation 2's.......... Great video. Exciting.

Scout'nStripers

Yea man........Nice!!!
Thanks Hawk.

I assume that's the older model Magic Swimmer? I've not tried the generation 2's.......... Great video. Exciting.
The ones I'm using are the gen 2, 125 Slow sinking. I've been using the holo greenie and green back ghost. I sanded them down and painted them with a base coat and then a pearl white color. I also give them a light dusting of a fine holographic glitter.

Scout'nStripers

Here's one I'm painting now. You can see the holo glitter. It just needs to dry and then it will get eyes and a hard coat seal.

Attachments

• IMAG2094.jpg
    IMAG2094.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 571

jocko755

Great video. Glad you were able to procure some more magic swimmers.

I have a chrome blue back. Do you think it would not produce as well as the custom pearl color? I haven't caught anything on it.

You clearly have confidence in certain baits and specific colors which comes from time on the water.

Got me thinking of painting it.

Scout'nStripers

Great video. Glad you were able to procure some more magic swimmers.

I have a chrome blue back. Do you think it would not produce as well as the custom pearl color? I haven't caught anything on it.

You clearly have confidence in certain baits and specific colors which comes from time on the water.

Got me thinking of painting it.
Jocko, I have a chrome with a blue top also. It's the old style and it hasn't worked well for me. After I broke off my only pearl sebile last week, all I had was that chrome blueback pattern and the fish would follow it but they wouldn't commit. They like the white or pearl color much better, especially if you burn it. If you burn it they don't have time to think and they react to it but if you slow it down they follow it and usually back off or just swirl on it.

As far as confidence is concerned, you're right, it's time on the water and also a lot of trial and error.

Paint it, I would.... As soon as you do though they'll probably start crushing the chrome and blue...LOL

Cletus T.

MAN……that was a vicious strike right at the boat….congrats on the catches and thanks for sharing it with us.

I think you need to take your buddy Cletus on an early morning pre-work fishing trip again one day soon………last time we did that you put me on my PB Spot!!!! Would love to mix it up with the stripes!!!!

Scout'nStripers

I think you need to take your buddy Cletus on an early morning pre-work fishing trip again one day soon………last time we did that you put me on my PB Spot!!!! Would love to mix it up with the stripes!!!!
That would be awesome to put you on your PB striper too Cletus. If we do go out one morning soon it's going to be a very cold run for sure. Definitely doable though.

Rabun

Another great video...really enjoy them! Good thing you were hanging on to that rod tight...he nailed it.

olcaptain

Thoroughly enjoyed that! I felt the whole strike and fight. Well done!

Cletus T.

That would be awesome to put you on your PB striper too Cletus. If we do go out one morning soon it's going to be a very cold run for sure. Definitely doable though.

Well……my PB striper is out of a river with my man Cy when we we’re filming an episode of Country Fried Cletus…….it weighed 24-pounds…….so I do have a nice PB Stripe on the books. BUT……I know there are a lot of stripes in Lanier that are bigger than 24#

Here’s a pic of it for reference and man that joker fought in that river current!!!

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 245

Scout'nStripers

Another great video...really enjoy them! Good thing you were hanging on to that rod tight...he nailed it.
Thanks Rabun. You're right, that fish caught me by surprise for sure!

Thoroughly enjoyed that! I felt the whole strike and fight. Well done!
Thanks olcaptain!

Well……my PB striper is out of a river with my man Cy when we we’re filming an episode of Country Fried Cletus…….it weighed 24-pounds…….so I do have a nice PB Stripe on the books. BUT……I know there are a lot of stripes in Lanier that are bigger than 24#

Here’s a pic of it for reference and man that joker fought in that river current!!!
Cletus, I can't compete with that one right there. Can't remember catching one over 20 in Lanier for a couple years. Very nice catch my friend!