JBowers....

Nick_T

Banned
Got the field we shot dove on the first season, not with the second round coming up in Oct. is this the time that we can go in and disc things up and top sow wheat? This of course would be a "bonafied agriculture practice" and we will stay at the recommended bushels/acre.

Nick T

CAL

NickT,
Before you do this please check.I think you will find this is no longer considered "a bonafied agriculture practice".It was at one time but hasn't been considered so in several years now! I am sure JBowers knows all the ins and outs about it.Seed on top of the ground is not a normal agriculture practice.

LKennamer

Cal is right

Top sowing wheat is not considered a 'normal agricultural practice.' You have to make an effort to cover the seed if you want to hunt over it. It's not wrong to have some seed exposed (it always will be if you don't drill it), but you have to make a reasonable effort. Sept. 15 is the earliest date the GA Dept. of Ag. says you can plant wheat. If you are not hunting over it, you can do it whenever you want. The best way to get a lot of wheat on the ground legally is to plant it this fall and leave it until next summer. Then you can mow and burn strips (mow it first to prevent burning the seed up). This will put a lot of seed on the ground and the heat from the fire will help keep it all from germinating when it rains. Trust me on this one, DNR uses the same technique on WMA dove fields with very good results. There is often more seed exposed than if you had simply spread it, and it's perfectly legal (as long as you don't try to 'sweeten' it!). Also avoids the problems with spring planting and drought.

Nick_T

Banned
Thanks for the heads up before I made an expensive mistake. Top sow and light discing wouldn't be to much extra trouble. Not sure if the peanuts were going to be out of the ground by then and looking for an alternative.

LK, had a wheat field like your talking about a few years back and basically worked it like you said. I had the folks that put on major paid shoots stop and talk with me about taking the birds from their corn fields. I know I had a couple thousand using my little ol' 10 acre field. It was amazing.

Nick T

LKennamer

Glad to help

No problem, Nick T. The technique works very well, I think the burning really helps because it removes the thach and exposes both dirt and seed. I think you're on the right track with the disking. There will still be some seed exposed to attract birds. Good luck!

Latest posts