Jekyll soft shell crabs

crumpet

Hi. Long time crabber but never for soft shell. Will soft shells be available mid April to catch and how does one go about doing it if so? Thanks luke

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hi. Long time crabber but never for soft shell. Will soft shells be available mid April to catch and how does one go about doing it if so? Thanks luke

They should be ready then. It is not the catching, as much as it is the timing. I used to know a waterman that lived on the Poquoson river in Virginia. That river empties into the Chesapeake bay. He would catch the crabs in a trap and could tell which ones were starting to molt. He would put them in a child's swimming pool fill with the river water. He would watch them closely until they completed molting and would then take them out and either cook or freeze them. You have a very short window as they will start forming their new shell within about 8 to 10 hours. Unless you have a lot of time to manage them and can recognize a peeler you are better off just buying them.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's a place on North King street in Charleston that batters them whole and fries them...…….bad neighborhood...………..great food...…...

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago Charlie Teeple came down from the Eastern Shore and started selling them. He set up a holding tank system on Turner's Creek and had a good supply of them. They were inexpensive then and sold for a fraction of what they sell for now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Leo Lovel, old time mullet fisherman and owner of Spring Creek Restaurant in Spring Creek Florida has some of the best soft shell crabs to be had.

Blackston

Years ago Charlie Teeple came down from the Eastern Shore and started selling them. He set up a holding tank system on Turner's Creek and had a good supply of them. They were inexpensive then and sold for a fraction of what they sell for now.
That's a name I ain't heard in a long time. Teeples was an amazing institution in thunderbolt when I was a boy