Jesus as a Sacrifice??

Madman

I'll stop here.
"First of all, there is no place in the New Testament where there is any hint or any record of any kind that Peter was in Rome. " You do understand that the hyper protestants believe that if it is not in writing in the Bible it did not happen. History is a mute point with them. I have had them scream at me "SHOW ME THE VERSE."

While I was showing them extra Biblical historical evidence.

come on Bullethead buy some books, stop with the google searches.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'll stop here.
"First of all, there is no place in the New Testament where there is any hint or any record of any kind that Peter was in Rome. " You do understand that the hyper protestants believe that if it is not in writing in the Bible it did not happen. History is a mute point with them. I have had them scream at me "SHOW ME THE VERSE."

Euseubius's evidence????

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'll stop here.

Even with Amazon Prime, online search is much quicker, I can read all the books available and I can use multiple sources to come to a conclusion instead of one book or a few books that I bought because they say what I want them to say.

Madman

Even with Amazon Prime, online search is much quicker, I can read all the books available and I can use multiple sources to come to a conclusion instead of one book or a few books that I bought because they say what I want them to say.
Not all opinions are of equal value.

atlashunter

It's not a good question. It is part of the rules of the Torah. No humans for sacrifice.

Well you do have the story of Isaac so the idea of human sacrifice is introduced early on. Also the story of Jephthah. I think the idea that Yahweh would at least under certain circumstances accept human blood is not that far fetched.

atlashunter

Pleaseth Readeth,

In The Binding of Isaac, Religious Murders & Kabbalah, Lippman Bodoff argues that Abraham never intended to actually sacrifice his son, and that he had faith that God had no intention that he do so. Rabbi Ari Kahn (on the Orthodox Union website) elaborates this view as follows: Isaac's death was never a possibility — not as far as Abraham was concerned, and not as far as God was concerned. God's commandment to Abraham was very specific, and Abraham understood it very precisely: Isaac was to be "raised up as an offering", and God would use the opportunity to teach humankind, once and for all, that human sacrifice, child sacrifice, is not acceptable. This is precisely how the sages of the Talmud (Taanit 4a) understood the Akedah. Citing the Prophet Jeremiah's exhortation against child sacrifice (Chapter 19), they state unequivocally that such behavior "never crossed God’s mind", referring specifically to the sacrificial slaughter of Isaac. Though readers of this parashah throughout the generations have been disturbed, even horrified, by the Akedah, there was no miscommunication between God and Abraham. The thought of actually killing Isaac never crossed their minds.

Interesting interpretation. Do we have other examples of god showing something was wrong in this manner? Did he ever for example instruct a man to lie with another man and then stop them at the last moment? In the story he doesn’t actually say this behavior is wrong. What he says is he will bless Abraham for his willingness to sacrifice his son.

Human sacrifice was part of Canaanite religion from which Judaism arose. So it’s not surprising that we find the idea so early on. Maybe part of Judaism was breaking away from that tradition but the idea of it was there along with the blood lust from the beginning.