Jigging flies for bass

Concrete Pete

Hey guys,

Quick question:

There’s a fly that looks like a ned rig. I have no idea how to fish such a fly with a fly rod. Does anyone have any links to videos or resources demonstrating this tactic?

I’m totally ignorant here.

Basically, it looks like you just let the fly get to bottom and pop it along.

I jig streamers a lot and it works well. Just not sure how to do this in still water.

hopper

Hey guys,

Quick question:

There’s a fly that looks like a ned rig. I have no idea how to fish such a fly with a fly rod. Does anyone have any links to videos or resources demonstrating this tactic?

I’m totally ignorant here.

Basically, it looks like you just let the fly get to bottom and pop it along.

I jig streamers a lot and it works well. Just not sure how to do this in still water.
You got a picture of the fly?

Concrete Pete

You got a picture of the fly?
Here’s one:

hopper

Thanks for the picture Looks like it would do the trick. I'm no Fly Guy but I bet they would hit it on the fall. Maybe let hit the bottom lift it a little and let fall back down. I have a feeling @NCHillbilly would have a tip or two.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I tie a lot of those streamers with dumbbell eyes for smallmouth (and trout.) That one looks like any of a hundred common patterns. Just cast it out, let it sink, and strip it back. You can manipulate it with the rod tip, too, to jig it more. Just experiment until you find the type of retrieve they want that day.