John Tanner Park lakes

Dialer

Gonna spend a few days at John Tanner park in Carrollton. Should I even bother bringing my fishing gear? The lady there would only tell me that the lake “”has been stocked in the past”, whatever that means...

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Sure it's worth it. I've caught some nice bass in both lakes. Probably have caught more numbers in the bottom lake in regards to bass. They do stock catfish in pretty good numbers in the top lake...or have in the past.

grey goose 01

Not worth it, unless you rent one of the jon boats on the lower lake because there's minimal areas to bank cast. Those lakes have been fished to death and back. Go on C-map genesis and look at the social map. Someone has already mapped the lakes out, so you'll have an idea of what to look for.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Lots of willing Bream and there are some big Bass, but they are pretty wilie.

pop pop jones

Your not going to fill a 48qt cooler, but if you want to enjoy yourself, I'd say take it. if you have a small boat, take it also. The upper lake has plenty of bass, from half pound up to 7 or 8 pounds. Big ones usually get hooked during bedding time. It also has some nice crappie. The lower lake is best for catfish or bass, I've never gotten a big bass out of it, but plenty of 1 and 2 pounders.

Dialer

I walked around the upper lake, didn't see any sign of life or aquatic activity. I have a fly rod outfit with some flies. Looks like plenty of open areas to cast. At least I can get some practice in....

grey goose 01

Your not going to fill a 48qt cooler, but if you want to enjoy yourself, I'd say take it. if you have a small boat, take it also. The upper lake has plenty of bass, from half pound up to 7 or 8 pounds. Big ones usually get hooked during bedding time. It also has some nice crappie. The lower lake is best for catfish or bass, I've never gotten a big bass out of it, but plenty of 1 and 2 pounders.

since when did they start letting people put their own boats on the lakes? first I've heard of that, and I've lived nearby all my life. only ones I know of are the jon boats for rent on the lower lake, and pedal boats for the main lake.

Dialer

Walked around the lower lake with a bait caster and a rattle trap I thought was too big, so was really just goofing around. Got about 3/4 around the lake and chunked it way out, and a pretty bass nailed it out of nowhere. Got it to the bank and got off somehow. Was about the size of a yearling but very feisty. Next morning went goofing around again at the lower lake and about a foot from the bank on a retrieval, another yearling struck hard. Got him on the bank but the treble hook was buried in his lower side that I had to cut out with my knife. Released him hoping he would live...no blood, so maybe. Nice lakes!

Sweetwater

I havent fished tanner in about 7 years...but from around 1991 till then I fished it extensively...with good results. With my own boat.
On the lower lake...take a zoom watermelon seed weightless trickworm on an ewg red gammie and deadstick it along the far bank under the overhanging trees...from the dock to the dam. THe water runs 6-8 ft under the trees there.
Also...along that bank almost to dam....right in the little cut where there is a bird house sitting on a pole in the water....about 20 yards or so out from that birdhouse is a brushpile. Find it and hit it.
Both dam corners have bream beds....the bass roam just off the deep edge of those beds this time of year.
Aint caught many big ones...but I normally catch 15-20 bass 12=14 inches....and its easy. Just throw the worm in and let it sink on a slack line. If you dont get bit...move on.