johnson grass

WORMY88

Can I spray I use a spray to kill johnson grass without hurting crops? corn, soybeans and peas

doomtrpr_z71

Nothing unless it's round up ready corn, assure would work for corn and soybeans, I don't think its labeled for peas but it has to be put out when the corn is short.

Last edited:

Elkbane

Clethodim (like Select 2EC) will kill the grass, not damage the beans, but it will damage the corn. That's the tough aspect of mixing corn with beans - you are limited in herbicides once weeds set in. You have to be patient with clethodim; it's not as quick to show effect as glyphosate, but the grass will yellow up and die over about a 2 week period.

Check the label, but I'm pretty sure its safe over legumes. I know it works over clover....I've used it for that effectively for several seasons.
Elkbane

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Clethodim (like Select 2EC) will kill the grass, not damage the beans, but it will damage the corn. That's the tough aspect of mixing corn with beans - you are limited in herbicides once weeds set in. You have to be patient with clethodim; it's not as quick to show effect as glyphosate, but the grass will yellow up and die over about a 2 week period.

Check the label, but I'm pretty sure its safe over legumes. I know it works over clover....I've used it for that effectively for several seasons.
Elkbane
Clethodim is safe to use over legumes .
However.....CHECK THE LABEL.It is safe to use on beans...but not corn.Also 30 days between application and harvest.

doomtrpr_z71

Any of the fops or dims would work for the peas or soybeans, I'm pretty sure theyre labeled for peas but regardless they have no action on broadleaves but will smoke the corn. More than likely it will take multiple applications to kill the Johnsongrass. If you use something like clethodim pay attention to the need for crop oil and make sure you are calibrated, the crop oil can burn the peas and soybeans.