jugs on clark hill

donald_5d

Going to clark hill tomorrow, and thought we may throw out a few jugs to get enough for a cookout. There are almost no regulations regarding jugs for Georgia, but SC has lots of restrictions, including having to have a special jug permit. Do we need to just stay on the Ga side to be sure not to run into problems?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I always thought the state where you held your fishing license determine the law you fell under... ie... Georgia license, follow Ga law.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I always thought the state where you held your fishing license determine the law you fell under... ie... Georgia license, follow Ga law.

Georgia waters, Georgia laws (with the exception of the reciprocal agreement on limits). Georgia fishing license reciprocates with South Carolina, but not all of our laws do, for example in Georgia there is not a limit on yellow perch, but in South Carolina it's 30, and they enforce it if you are caught on their side.

across the river

No, if you are fishing on the SC side of the state line you fall under SC regulations. If you are on the Georgia side, you fall under Georgia regulations. As stated above, there are some agreements on waters that fall on state borders, that allow you to fish both sides to a certain point, but for example the crappie rules are different for GA and SC, so if you are fishing in Georgia you have no size limit, but in SC you do. It doesn't matter which state you have a license from.

JackSprat

Big difference in the rules on hybrid/stripers, and having a gun in your boat.

Note you don't have to be fishing in the state. If you are fishing in GA, pull up to head to another spot in GA, but cut across the line,you are subject to SC rules while in SC.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
sounds like a real mess to me. In Lake Hartwell the river meanders all over the place. Unless you had some real good GPS equipment, you couldn't be sure which state you would be fishing. Yeah, if you get back in the coves and stuff you would be able to know, but not out on the open water.

Seems like they could make it real simple to tie it to the fishing license and you fall under that states regulations. So simple a caveman can do it. Maybe that is the reason they don't. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would stay on the GA side for sure. I jug the SC side, and just some differences offhand: SC requires a jug permit, has a limit of 50 jugs per person, and will fry you for using live bait on a jug, limbline, or trotline. The jugs also have to be marked with your name and customer ID#. They also have to be picked up within an hour of official sunrise.

greg_n_clayton

I have a place on the SC side of Russell. The agreement between Ga and SC, in the SC book reads "game fish methods" !!

lampern

Also GA considers channel catfish as game fish where SC does not.

It seems legal methods of fishing are not covered by the reciprocal agreement

watermedic

I thought that on the water all rules are reciprocal. Just depends on the state that the boat ramp that you use is in. Meaning that when you load the boat, you are subject to that states laws.

Cmp1

BANNED
No point in me trying it out here if you have to monitor it,,,, what's the point,,,, want to leave it overnight,,,,

tucker80

It's the side you are checked on. In that state, follow their rules. The reciprocal agreement only means you're legally allowed to fish that side. You still have to abide by their law on limits and methods. Boating laws have a few differences too.

lampern

Except GA and SC agreed to the same limits on striped bass and black bass.

The limits on bass are the same between the states. As said other species of fish may not have the same limits but I'm guessing with all the tournaments , bass tourney fishermen probably wanted the same limits lake wide and lobbied and got them.

For years the GA side had/has a size limit on largemouth, SC never did until recently.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there has been a lot of opinion posted here but no links to facts.

I am gonna have to research this.

lampern

South Carolina

Waters Covered
On the banks and in the waters of all channels of the Savannah River from its mouth to the junction of the Tugaloo (Toogaloo) and Seneca Rivers; the Tugaloo River from its mouth to the junction of the Tugaloo and Chattooga Rivers; and the Chattooga River to the North Carolina state line (35th parallel of North latitude at Ellicott’s Rock). This agreement also applies to all the waters and banks of Clarks Hill Reservoir (Strom Thurmond), Richard B. Russell Reservoir, Hartwell Reservoir, Yonah Lake, Tugaloo (Toogaloo) Lake, the New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam, and Stevens Creek Lake (except that portion on the Stevens Creek arm upstream of South Carolina Hwy 53). The agreement does not apply to any flowing portions of tributary streams to these impoundments nor to tributary streams of the Savannah, Tugaloo and Chattooga Rivers.

Licenses
All persons meeting the freshwater license requirements of Georgia or South Carolina may fish from the banks and in the waters covered without having to obtain any other license.
This agreement does not apply to commercial fishing or saltwater sport fishing.
A South Carolina saltwater fishing license is required when fishing from a boat on the SC side of the Savannah River downstream of where the CSX Railroad trestle crosses the Back River.

Length, Creel and Possession Limits

See GA-SC chart above for the length, creel and possession limits for the border waters covered by this agreement.

General Notes

Any person using baskets, jugs, minnow seines, or trot lines in the waters covered must comply with the laws, rules and regulations of the state in which the baskets, jugs, minnow seines, or trot lines are fished, regardless of their residence.

No person may carry to either state or possess in such state more fish than the laws of that state or those of this agreement permit, even though the fish were caught in the waters of the other state.

lampern

aggregate of all game fish (does not include catfish): All border waters covered : 40 (total)

All other laws and regulations of Georgia apply in the Georgia portion of waters covered by this agreement.
Note: South Carolina regulations differ for crappie and bream (and chain pickerel and yellow perch)

Also what constitutes a game fish differs between SC and GA.