Jumping 24 with 12...

jcountry

If I want to crank a 24v system on a car with a 12 v car and jumpers, would that cause problems? As long as the source car is running and all?

I’d really like to get it started, but I definitely need at least enough juice to read the codes.

-Thanks!

660griz

24v system on a car? Strange.
Get another 12v battery, connect in series and you can jump it. (Take out or disconnect from car.)

transfixer

If I want to crank a 24v system on a car with a 12 v car and jumpers, would that cause problems? As long as the source car is running and all?

I’d really like to get it started, but I definitely need at least enough juice to read the codes.

-Thanks!

I don't see it hurting the source car, but I also don't see it being enough power to start the other vehicle, I would do as suggested, connect another battery in series and then try it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
What car has a 24VDC system? I don't know of any

cowhornedspike

Hook it up to only one battery at a time and run the car to charge that battery...then switch to the other battery and charge a while before trying to start the dead vehicle. If you hook up to both batteries at the same time (24 to 12) you will be supplying 24v to the jumping car and could cause problems to its electrical components.

jcountry

Thanks for the ideas. Took a look at the thing and it was worse than I want to fool with anyhow. Didn't even try to power it up. Appreciate the help though!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I know for sure and certain (many years owning autoparts stores) that a 24vdc starter or alternator is bookoo bucks.

A local college got one of those surplus Chevy Blazers with a 6.2 diesel in 24VDC. It had a bad alternator. They changed out the starter and alternator to 12VDC and rewired it cheaper than they could have the 24vdc repaired.