just an idea

chef

i have an electric jon boat, and fly fish from it sometimes on the smaller lakes, lathem, yahoola, tribble mill. so when spring comes around do ya think we could get up a bass/brim fly fishing tournament? just a thought any ideas or support would be great!

chef

yea i figure a yak float tube bank fishing, canoe, or what ever. just an electric only lake, it will be easier to flyfish on, we got time to get it organized and to put some thought into it

Toxic

I'm in. John boat and troller. All I flyfish for is bream and bass...

chef

well lets set a date in april , unless you guys wanna flyfish for bass and brim in fall and winter, its hard but can be done, one of the largest bass i caught on a fly was in febuary. anyway, any ideas on rules i dont think normal bass tournament rules will work or at least some of them, alot of folks will be in yaks, or pontoons so i dont know how well they work with a live well. and we need to pick a lake we can all agree on. everyone think about it and post your ideas and comments.

Toxic

Well as far as fish, we will have to adhere to state laws on size for the bass. There are no state regs on bream size that I know of. I say keep the bass limit at 5 like a bass tourny has. The bream limit I know of is 45 for Georgia. Just for humane reasons we need to cut that limit down so we don't take a chance of damaging the bream population if we have a big turnout. I say 10 limit on bream with a posible size limit of 4 inches. This sound ok or am I way out of line ?

chef

sounds good , should one person fish for both and have 2 prize pots, or pick one and fish for that species

anglerEd

I would like to get in on that. I know a little about bass, but very little about takeing them on the fly. I have a kayak, but how would that work with kayak fishing. Could they be kept alive on a stringer?

Streamer

I would like to fish it as well, but I dont have a electric boat, so if someone needs a partner, let me know. Josh

dawgcpa

Fishing tournamen

What a great idea. I'm looking for a little boat to fish some electric only water around Griffin. There are 3 lakes within 20 miles of Griffin that are 3-500 acres apiece. I'm sure there is water like this all over the place. I'll be watching this thread.

dawgcpa

Lakes

The ones I'm thinking about are set up as reservoirs for cities. The one I was looking at yesterday is Lake Horton between Fayetteville and Griffin. It is 780 acres of electric only. Not a huge lake but big enough to host a lot of folks. I'm just saying there are probably a bunch of smaller bodies of water like this around the area. If you want to get down in the Macon area I can get my brother who works with DNR to recommend some water.

chef

i have fished a couple of jon boat tourneys and yes there are lots of small lakes in georgia. the DNR has a list on there website. i usually fish lathem , it isnt the best fly fishing lake but have caught several spotted bass on the fly there!