Just because question

transfixer

I hunt different than most I suppose, I won't take a shot unless I can put the bullet in the area just behind the shoulder bone up high so I either sever the spine, or the bullet expanding/fragmenting clips the spine, virtually always clips the tops of the lungs as well, 99.9 % of the time they drop where they stand, and then they're either immediately dead or suffocate while lying there because of damage to the lungs .

I don't like a deer to run, the adrenaline rush changes the taste of the meat, the only deer I've had run was a small buck I shot with a .300bo, I shot lower than normal cause I didn't trust the caliber, it ran 40yds and piled up, I no longer hunt with that .300bo , not enough velocity for me

I practice more than most, and my rifles are dialed in to either sub moa groups at 200yds or slightly over, depending on what I've loaded, I make sure I know where the bullet will hit at 50yds, 100yds, and so on,

and I'm normally using a .243 with a 87gr bthp, sometimes my .308, with 150gr btsp or bthp

crackerdave

And always remember that deer are weird. Sometimes they give up and die on the spot from a marginal shot. The next time they'll run 200 yards with 1/2 a heart shot out. It's just how much fight they have in them I guess?
A hunter has to sit perfectly still right after the shot.
Many folks can't sit still,but if they see you move they will run if they're able.Wait and let them bleed out.
Unless you like to chase 'em!

rosewood

A hunter has to sit perfectly still right after the shot.
Many folks can't sit still,but if they see you move they will run if they're able.Wait and let them bleed out.
Unless you like to chase 'em!
Exactly. The last deer I lost with a rifle was probably 12 years ago or more (we don't talk about bow losses). I got down right after I shot him and went to find him. Jumped him and never did find him. I now sit a minimum of 20 minutes before I get down (unless I can see him dead on the ground). Haven't lost one since.

Some of the tv/online hunting shows bug me because either they get right down or edit the footage so it appears they did they. They should point out to the viewer that they sat and waited before tracking.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rmp

I won't take a shot unless I can put the bullet in the area just behind the shoulder bone up high

I’ve tried this placement on the last few critters I’ve shot. Latest was a cow elk estimated at 500 lbs, 160 yard shot with a plain ol .270 Winchester with a 145 ELD-X. Mild powder charge and from 22” barrel. I watched her collapse in the scope. So far, I’ve been getting very consistent results.

killerv

Exactly. The last deer I lost with a rifle was probably 12 years ago or more (we don't talk about bow losses). I got down right after I shot him and went to find him. Jumped him and never did find him. I now sit a minimum of 20 minutes before I get down (unless I can see him dead on the ground). Haven't lost one since.

Some of the tv/online hunting shows bug me because either they get right down or edit the footage so it appears they did they. They should point out to the viewer that they sat and waited before tracking.

Rosewood
I like the ones that are early season bowhunting in 90 degree weather, shoot the deer with what appears on camera to be an awesome shot. But...but....we are gonna back out until morning, don't wanna chance it. Meat isn't any good but atleast they have a rack to show off.

rosewood

I am not a big fan of a spine shot. I shot one with a crossbow in the spine and he didn't die. Laid there trying to get up with back legs paralyzed crying. I had to finish him off with a knife (in s/d). Another I shot high with the 6.5 creedmoor at about 230 yards. I aimed a tad too high. Same thing, kept trying to get up at least 30 minutes after I shot him. Had to finish him off with another round. I like double lung myself. Funny thing, this was the same season.

Rosewood

rosewood

I like the ones that are early season bowhunting in 90 degree morning, shoot the deer with what appears on camera to be an awesome shot. But...but....we are gonna back out until morning, don't wanna chance it. Meat isn't any good but atleast they have a rack to show off.
That is a little too long of a wait. That is a "I don't want to be out here so late" call. In 40 degree weather, you can get away with it.

transfixer

I like the ones that are early season bowhunting in 90 degree weather, shoot the deer with what appears on camera to be an awesome shot. But...but....we are gonna back out until morning, don't wanna chance it. Meat isn't any good but atleast they have a rack to show off.

Guys like that gripe me to no end ! they've ended that animals life, wasted the meat, all for a set of horns they can post on social media ,,,facepalm:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I want two holes. Three would be better. Im a boiler room shooter in most situations. People who shoot for spine must not like backstraps as much as I do.

transfixer

I am not a big fan of a spine shot. I shot one with a crossbow in the spine and he didn't die. Laid there trying to get up with back legs paralyzed crying. I had to finish him off with a knife (in s/d). Another I shot high with the 6.5 creedmoor at about 230 yards. I aimed a tad too high. Same thing, kept trying to get up at least 30 minutes after I shot him. Had to finish him off with another round. I like double lung myself. Funny thing, this was the same season.

Rosewood

I've not had that experience with any of the ones I've shot like that, but I've been either lucky or consistent enough to put the bullet in that spot that hits the tops of the lungs, and damages the spine, to the best of my memory I've never had a shot completely sever the spine, usually only tears up the inside portion , evidently enough to knock them down/paralyze/or incapacitate them ? I used to keep count of my kills when I was younger, haven't for years, but I know the last 15 or 20 I've taken have been with that shot.

now that said, I'm almost always hunting from a tower stand or blind with a solid rest of some sort, sometimes sandbags, sometimes my bipod

baddave

over the last 53 yrs I've been deer hunting, most of my rifle kills have been w/ 30-06 but the killingest bullet I've seen is the 80 gr ttsx in 243 that @BriarPatch99 turned me on to. Can't explain it but it drops them faster and harder than any 30-06 projectile I ever used. And I get it, every kill is a different reaction. Just judging by a Wh-o-o-o-le lot of experience

rosewood

No doubt, we base our beliefs on personal experience (if we have it). Some base their beliefs on heresay. For sure, each deer is different and many times we may base an entire belief on one deer's response to one shot when we had 10 others that reacted differently.

When you factor in that each deer may react differently to the same shot, it becomes a crap shoot and we have to take a best guess on what actually works for us.

Rosewood

BriarPatch99

over the last 53 yrs I've been deer hunting, most of my rifle kills have been w/ 30-06 but the killingest bullet I've seen is the 80 gr ttsx in 243 that @BriarPatch99 turned me on to. Can't explain it but it drops them faster and harder than any 30-06 projectile I ever used. And I get it, every kill is a different reaction. Just judging by a Wh-o-o-o-le lot of experience
Sure is easy to shoot too... recoil is fairly light....

Shooters tend to be more accurate shooting when shooting light recoil rifles...

rosewood

Sure is easy to shoot too... recoil is fairly light....

Shooters tend to be more accurate shooting when shooting light recoil rifles...
Yep, so much more accurate when you keep your eyes open. :)

Darkhorse

Good tracking skills include more than a blood trail because sometimes we don't get one. A few kills stand out to me.
I shot a huge boar estimated between 350 and 400 pounds with a .54 caliber caplock, he was about 20 yards away and offered a broadside shot. At the shot he took off into the briars of an old clearcut and out of sight. I took out a compass and listened for the last sound then took a reading. Just in case.
There was no sign at the hit. No blood. No cut hairs. Just deep divots in the mud where he took off.
Partially using my compass I followed expecting to find some blood. None. But I did find several spots where the pine needles had been kicked up and looked promising so I followed those. thats all the sign I had for may be 200 yards until finally at the bottom of one of those spots were a couple of drops of blood.
I was bent over because due to the foliage I couldn't stand up and see any distance. So I would track a short distance then drop to one knee and look around. Finally I saw him laying dead on his side. Looked like he had a flak jacket on his shield was so thick.
I had tracked him over 300 yards, estimated, but our good luck he had ran back towards the truck. My late brother and law and I only had a short drag back to the truck.
This boar had been a real warrior. His ears were shredded with balls of scar tissue hanging on them. His face and shoulders were covered with what looked like razor cuts from fighting. And his tusks were all broken off down to the jaw.
Point is, if I had of relied solely on a blood trail I would never have found him.
I have been deer hunting over 50 years and have learned a lot about reading the forest floor. The more you know the better tracker you are.