Just for Grins and Giggles ......

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Who can tell me what this piece of equipment is used for.

Machine.jpg

shdw633

It's a rice planter.

Lilly001

I was going to say a planter of some type.
But I can see for rice.

Canuck5

That's exactly it! I had never seen one before and my nephew is involved in raising this first rice ever grown in Canada. That's a 2 1/2 acre trial plot, which they will use the seed from, to plant close to 100 acres next year.
Rice.jpg

shdw633

I spent my military time in Northeastern Arkansas which does a lot of rice farming up there and made a friend or two over that time, that's how I knew what it was.

Canuck5

It's pretty interesting on how it's done. Ground had to be compacted to hold water and burms built up. Rice was transplanted and then the fields flooded. I didn't know, but the flooding is for weed control and not much else. Ducks are used to keep insects at bay.

However this was a trial and pretty expensive venture to start with, since chemicals, etc., all had to be applied by helicopter and to do just 2 1/2 acres, got expensive.

Canuck5

This "rice" in particular is a propriatary "sticky" rice.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I spent my military time in Northeastern Arkansas which does a lot of rice farming up there and made a friend or two over that time, that's how I knew what it was.

If you were at Blytheville, you certainly were in the middle of the rice patch.
The PTO levy maker was another unique piece of equipment.

Canuck5

I'd have to say that's a bold venture

It has surprised a lot of people! The family that is funding the operation is from china and picked that "area" because it is similar to the growing region, where they are, in China. We'll see if it takes off! I don't ever expect to see thousands of acres of it.

shdw633

If you were at Blytheville, you certainly were in the middle of the rice patch.
The PTO levy maker was another unique piece of equipment.

That's exactly where I was stationed. Runway was right through the middle of a cotton field.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I was at LRAFB, shot touch and goes over there.

shdw633

I was at LRAFB, shot touch and goes over there.
I was on the Base softball team and we went down to Little Rock often to play tournaments. Sure do miss those days!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I was on the Base softball team and we went down to Little Rock often to play tournaments. Sure do miss those days!!

I miss the great hunting and fishing, mostly abundant public land.

shdw633

If the jobs were better I would have stayed there just for the hunting and fishing, but tough to make a living there, at least back then it was.

doomtrpr_z71

I figured the Chinese would be involved, now people are doing row rice in the mid south with pivots and furrow irrigation. I am currently about 30 mins north of blytheville at the moment and I would say the public opportunities are better in Arkansas but I'm not impressed with Missouri.

Canuck5

Another just for grins and giggles ...... There was an area of one of our properties that had been timbered, with most of the stumps removed, and for a few reasons, I never planted, until last fall.

I did have it limed, but not fertilized and spread crimson clover and arrowleaf clover on top of the ground. Crimson has been in bloom for a week now and I will expect to see some arrowleaf in the not too distant future.

Probably in early July, we will bush hog it and depending on the quantity of arrowleaf that drops seed, may either leave it alone or add more inexpensive clover. We'll see. Might have some turkey poults in there and fawns in another month, with the "grass structure" that's there. Deer are definitely in there.

I have 2+ acres of food plots and 40 fruit/nut tree's in here as well.

Orchard 4-2020.jpegOrchard 4-2020-1.jpeg