Just got a great deal!! Need some advice.

Guy

Just bought a Marlin lever in .35 rem with a leupold 3x9-40. Gun is brand new. Shot only 15 Times. Buddy needed some money. Got the package for $325. I love it.

Does anyone here shoot a .35 Rem? What bullets have worked the best for you? What manufacturer?

duckbill

GUY, I collect and reload for older Marlins. The 35REM is an awesome woods cartridge. Factory 200gr Remington Corelokts work great. However, if you reload, the 35REM can be taken up to it's full potential and really shines.
$325 is a great price with a luepold scope on it if it's in descent shape. Congrats. By the way what's the Serial # on it?

Guy

I don't know the serial number. When i get it back from my gunsmith I can let you know. He is installing lower rings on it and boresighting the scope. Why do you ask?

duckbill

Serial # tells the age of the gun. Is it a newer model with the crossbolt safety or without?

Guy

It's a newer model. It has the cross bolt safety. My buddy bought it new about 4 or 5 years ago.

duckbill

Sorry GUY,
I missed it in your 1st post about nearly brand new. I thought it was an older one. Anyhow, enjoy your rifle. The 35REM is a good one.

leoparddog

man, I've been wanting to get me one of those. Maybe have it rechambered to the Ackley Improved version. Congrats on the great deal :clap:

Guy

I asked my gunsmith about Ackley improving it. He said it won't be worth it unless I reload. Which at this time I don't. My buddy Badger ( on this forum ) does though!
:bounce:

Maybe he can load up some good rounds in the standard caliber. I will probably wait until the off season.

Duckbill, what are your specs for reloading? Maybe we can use that as a starting point.

duckbill

The 35REM doesn't need to be ackley improved. The load data and factory ammo is way to conservative. It is based on old pressure specs because it was originally chambered in the Remington Model 8 and 41 pumps. They had weak actions. The lawyers won't let them update the load data. The 35REM can be loaded to around 2300fps with 180gr Speers or 2200fps with REM 200gr corelokts. I'll get some load data together and PM it to you. Popular powders are RL-7, H335, H4895, IMR3031.
For some great info, visit my buddies over at marlinowners.com

The 30-30 is a better candidate for the Ackley Improvement or can be converted to a .307

Guy

I have a .30 -.30. It's a Ted Williams made by Winchester for Sears. I wouldn't improve that. I will probably give it to my son for his first rifle. I also have a nice Remington sportsman 58 16 Guage to give him, from his Grandfather.

Didn't mean to ramble on.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
duckbill could you PM me those loads also I sometimes use my 35 REM. contender and would like to check out those loads eddy moore