Just picked up a S&W 460

Lilly001

I got a great deal on a S&W 460 from a buddy. He had two.
It’s a lot more gun that I have ever shot. 44 mag is my previous hottest in a Ruger SRedhawk.
I’m thinking of putting a 2 X Leupold on it but my buddy says it screams for a red dot like he has on his (Leupold).
Any opinions?
I’m going with the 300 grain Hornady,s in it as that’s what his Dillon is set up for and he will reload for me if I give him the components. He says he loads a little short of max.
I’m anxious to see how it shoots. :biggestshoot:

Reactions: Dub

BeefMaster

First off, congratulations on the new hog leg.

It’s apples to oranges but a Leopold 2x has stood up to long term 44 magnum use for me, I would expect that a red dot by Leupold would serve you well. I’m curious to hear your report as that 460 is quite the hot rod. I personally have never shot one but a coworker of mine says he loads his stout and that there’s no mistaking that he touched a round off.

Dub

You have the biggest obstacle covered.....the ammo cost.

It’s the exact reason I sold my 500.

Now that I’m setting up for reloading I sorta wish I’d kept it. Those X-frames are stout. Provided you get an 8”-10” barrel with the integral braking its a pleasure to shoot.

Hunting......you’ll want to slip some earplugs in prior to the shot.

Congrats on fun times ahead.

specialk

be aware of the pressure from the cylinder when you fire it....first time i shot mine i rested it on a old pillow and pillow guts went everywhere......i eventually got rid of mine...

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Awesome. I never have shot the 460, just the 500 and it was a hoot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Friend of mine has a couple, and they're a blast to shoot (pun intended.) Sweet hoglegs. Most of them will shoot .454 Casull and .45 LC, too.

Tom W.

A Leupold 2x is a great scope, as is the Burris 2 x 7, which is what I had on my .454.

I ain't young enough to shoot a .460 unless it's ported....

DeucesWild

Had a Ultra Dot on mine to begin with. It held zero the entire time that it was on it. I just recently put a 2x8 leupold on it and havent made it to the woods yet but hope to soon. I shoot 250 xtp handloads just shy of max

Dub

Had a Ultra Dot on mine to begin with. It held zero the entire time that it was on it. I just recently put a 2x8 leupold on it and havent made it to the woods yet but hope to soon. I shoot 250 xtp handloads just shy of max

You ever chrono’d those loads ?

They gotta be getting close to 2,000 fps.

Awesome !!!!!!!!!!

DeucesWild

No on the chrono. I usually stay on the scale of 1-10 at about 8.5-9 as far as powder charge goes. I load that same round in my 454 and it has done a good job on the deer I've shot with it.

Lilly001

This is the beast. And the ammo I sighted in for until. I get my reloads.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 74

Lilly001

I shot it at 50 yds because that's what I'm set up for now.
The recoil is stout but the only problem from the bench is when my elbow crashed back down on the bench after recoil.
After putting a pad down for that it was very tolerable and I could see 20 or 30 rounds being a reasonable session at the bench.
I shot some .45 colt rounds to begin and it was literally like the recoil of a .22.

Lilly001

I just spent the first sit with my new hogleg.
Had two yearlings come out but the big doe with them wouldn't come out of the pines to give me a clear shot. She would have been about 30 yds so it would have been a good test.
It's ok. I know where she lives.

GreenPig

2x Leupold should be good. I've shot a friends 460 and 500 both ported that didn't recoil as brutally as my SRH 454 with warm loads. My 2x Leupold is still going strong.

308-MIKE

I have a 460 with 8 3/8" barrel. You want to watch someone soil their pants and hit the ceiling at the same time. Shoot a Hornady .460 mag 200gr round at an indoor range. Watch the person next to you. We were at Kennesaw Governors club last year. I told my friends to watch the guy next to me. I shot a round and looked to my friends, they were laughing so hard, they almost fell over. I would recommend shooting it outdoors though. I wear earplugs and ear muffs. The .460 still hurts my ears and makes my teeth hurt. But I like that it shoots .45 Colt, .454 casull, and .460 mag.

Lilly001

I have a 460 with 8 3/8" barrel. You want to watch someone soil their pants and hit the ceiling at the same time. Shoot a Hornady .460 mag 200gr round at an indoor range. Watch the person next to you. We were at Kennesaw Governors club last year. I told my friends to watch the guy next to me. I shot a round and looked to my friends, they were laughing so hard, they almost fell over. I would recommend shooting it outdoors though. I wear earplugs and ear muffs. The .460 still hurts my ears and makes my teeth hurt. But I like that it shoots .45 Colt, .454 casull, and .460 mag.
I shoot 300 grain hand loads and I don't see the need for the others.
I did use that as a justification when I bought it but I'm ok with the full house loads.
I only shoot 5-10 at sit, but I never saw it as a plinker.