Just saw an interesting interaction

bullgator

I saw movement in a small pine tree out the back window. I looked and a red-shouldered hawk landed on a branch two feet above a squirrel on a lower branch. I thought this was going to get interesting, and it did. The little squirrel climbed up and got on the same branch as the hawk and was maybe 16-18” away when the hawk flew off. The funny thing is the squirrel looked disappointed.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I saw movement in a small pine tree out the back window. I looked and a red-shouldered hawk landed on a branch two feet above a squirrel on a lower branch. I thought this was going to get interesting, and it did. The little squirrel climbed up and got on the same branch as the hawk and was maybe 16-18” away when the hawk flew off. The funny thing is the squirrel looked disappointed.
That's strange!

hdgapeach

Seen about the same scenario a few years ago on my place. Skwerl hoppin' up and down on the same limb as the hawk. 'Bout two feet from him, too. Hawks had recently been raiding my yard chickens (10 of them to be exact). I figured they done been protected for so long, they'd rather eat off my "plate" than work for their own. Dang hawks are 'bout a nuisance around here. Small pets and yard birds don't stand a chance. Skwerl meat is tougher......

I hate me some hawks!!

across the river

The squirrel learns quickly that hawk in flight is far more dangerous than a hawk sitting on a branch.