Just saying!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We typically can kill 4 toms off our different leases. This year we heard one about a mile away and even that is suspect..

Mark K

Banned
Off topic, but are y’all saying it’s a habitat issue as to not having turkeys? Thought all the studies said we are killing the gobblers before the hens could nest? Very interesting...

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Off topic, but are y’all saying it’s a habitat issue as to not having turkeys? Thought all the studies said we are killing the gobblers before the hens could nest? Very interesting...
Habitat(hardwoods) is a lot better habitat that 20 year old planted pine plantation for the turkeys.Mixed growth hardwood/pine and varied age of plantings are best for the wildlife.3000 acres of 15-25 year old unthinned pine is not.

Triple C

Because mature bucks make up a very, very small portion of your deer population, regardless of where they live.

You need literally a couple thousand acres to make it happen with even a remote percentage of the norm in public hunting and that includes hunting clubs.

QDM and all the pundits and cronies and followers will argue, but the results are never there.
opinion only, not worth anything

Our results prove otherwise.

Mark K

Banned
You are surrounded by like minded people or areas that’s not hunted then. I have mature bucks on camera 1.5 miles apart. One pic in the evening and another pic the next morning.

bubbafowler

Back to what the OP said, how many people these days get a 100 inch buck officially scored. I don't know anyone that's ever gone and gotten a buck officially scored except the one that was in truck buck. I know I have a 100 inch public land deer or two, they're not in the list because why?

Mark K

Banned
Back to what the OP said, how many people these days get a 100 inch buck officially scored. I don't know anyone that's ever gone and gotten a buck officially scored except the one that was in truck buck. I know I have a 100 inch public land deer or two, they're not in the list because why?

Good point. Unless it’s 130 or better most don’t even think about it regardless of public or private. Well they don’t get it officially scored that is.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What clubs in our area managed for. Changed quick.
That’s timber land.

chrisn1818

Deer don’t have enough quality food on most timber leases which a lot of WMA’s basically are so I think that hinders antler growth.Most neighbors don’t exercise good trigger control and the WMA’s around me at least don’t have very many hunts with rifles. Bucks don’t get big by being dumb. It’s way harder to get one with a bow so on Paulding Forest for instance I think you can only rifle hunt 12 days and 3 of those are youth days. That’s not many days to get it done and I know this year in particular was VERY wet with all the rain. Both hunts on Paulding Forest it was pouring rain 2 of the three days the hunt was open and the wind blew 35 mph the other day. That’s tough!!! PF ought to be a good hunt this year because of it though!! Just my opinions.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
From what u seen at our place. Does it look like yours. Or was our woods cut down.
We still have deer. Good deer. But the area is going throu a change.
No sir not at all , really unbelievable at the amount of cutting , but I also see your place as some great deer hunting in the near future , probably better than you’ve ever seen !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My thoughts on the question is that a very small portion of deer that get killed on wmas especially nice bucks are never heard about unless it’s a managed quota hunt or something similar

MYRX

Regarding QDMA, just subscribe to the magazine, join for a year and make up your own mind. This is what I did and I did learn some good information. As one of our founding fathers said "the best return on investment is knowledge"

As far as WMA's with triple digit bucks, I have never hunted a WMA so I have no knowledge to share...

DSGB

I don't subscribe to GON, but I'm assuming it's a list of WMA bucks over 100"?

I do hunt public land and I can say that none of the bucks I've killed have been scored by anyone. During the quota hunts I've been on, they only measure main beam length and circumference, in addition to age, sex, and weight.

kingfish

Got to remember too that there are a lot of hunters that don't give 2 shakes about scoring a buck. I got several buddies that hunt both Fla and Ga that have killed public land bucks that would score well over 100 and don't want to be bothered. They got the pictures and the buck on the wall and that's good enough for them. Matter of opinion for most.

Wayne D Davis

Deer don’t have enough quality food on most timber leases which a lot of WMA’s basically are so I think that hinders antler growth.Most neighbors don’t exercise good trigger control and the WMA’s around me at least don’t have very many hunts with rifles. Bucks don’t get big by being dumb. It’s way harder to get one with a bow so on Paulding Forest for instance I think you can only rifle hunt 12 days and 3 of those are youth days. That’s not many days to get it done and I know this year in particular was VERY wet with all the rain. Both hunts on Paulding Forest it was pouring rain 2 of the three days the hunt was open and the wind blew 35 mph the other day. That’s tough!!! PF ought to be a good hunt this year because of it though!! Just my opinions.
I was in that rain sitting 30 ft. Up in my summit climber. I took meat home also....2 doe

chrisn1818

I was in that rain sitting 30 ft. Up in my summit climber. I took meat home also....2 doe
That’s awesome!! But not everyone is as crazy as me and you ?? There have been some impressive bucks come off of Paulding Forest in the past few years. I don’t know the exact numbers of hunters but seemed like a lot less trucks parked on the sides of the roads when I drove by.