Just saying!

mlandrum

I'm looking at the July issue of GON concerning the Triple Diget WMA buck count: There are 75 WMAs and only 13 triple diget bucks since 2017. Now all of these WMAs had triple diget bucks when they opened and now they're gone--- WHY??

Because mature bucks make up a very, very small portion of your deer population, regardless of where they live.

You need literally a couple thousand acres to make it happen with even a remote percentage of the norm in public hunting and that includes hunting clubs.

QDM and all the pundits and cronies and followers will argue, but the results are never there.

Your state game laws require that one of your bucks have 4 points on one side. It is what it is. Chickisawhatchee was the best I ever saw. And they would kill a handful of really nice bucks on a hunt. And to my knowledge, they have the longest standing quality buck regs in the state.

opinion only, not worth anything

Blackston

Quality buck regs on Chick ? Not anymore

Big7

The Oracle
Oh yeah.. Nothing wrong with a good opinion.

I've been in outright brawls with a few folks that think they can "QDM" a 125 tract. You are EXACTLY right. Takes a BUNCH of land to QDM. ?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Because mature bucks make up a very, very small portion of your deer population, regardless of where they live.

You need literally a couple thousand acres to make it happen with even a remote percentage of the norm in public hunting and that includes hunting clubs.

QDM and all the pundits and cronies and followers will argue, but the results are never there.

Your state game laws require that one of your bucks have 4 points on one side. It is what it is. Chickisawhatchee was the best I ever saw. And they would kill a handful of really nice bucks on a hunt. And to my knowledge, they have the longest standing quality buck regs in the state.

opinion only, not worth anything
BF Grant was the first public land in the nation to have quality buck rules in place.

kingfish

Don't feel bad, I thought it meant that also with an emphasis on bigger horn growth. I love the triple digit WMA numbers article when it comes out. To me it means that if you put your time in and get lucky there's a chance. Used to hunt Dixon Memorial back in the 80's-90's and there was always some monster sign in there. Seeing what's been officially scored and recorded confirms what I always knew. I know some of you would let a 125 and a 137 go but for a south Ga WMA, those are good bucks.

rattlesnake1

So QDM means big antlers?
Silly me I thought it meant heathy animals in a deer heard.
I've hunted in Ga. for over 40 yrs. I have never heard of anyone having unhealthy animals in the herd , QDM does in fact mean growing bigger antlers. otherwise they would not put antler restrictions on bucks.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've hunted in Ga. for over 40 yrs. I have never heard of anyone having unhealthy animals in the herd , QDM does in fact mean growing bigger antlers. otherwise they would not put antler restrictions on bucks.
Does it also mean a heath doe having 2 health fawns.
I googled QDM it showed a big buck harvested. It also talked about TDM. Most places in Ga has a choice buck and the other with 4 on one side. Both can be quality’s. Both health.
Now some county’s have 4 on one side And some How wide.
Well they have illegal to kill mature deer. Like a 20” wide 6 pt.
Over 200pds. GUESS that’s not a QDM animal. They call it a QDM law.
What about that.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Quality habitat loss is part of the difference also. Hard to grow healthy animals on a 80 % pine forest.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ga. has had a unhealthy deer heard before. Most was wiped out.
They restocked lots of areas.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Quality habitat loss is part of the difference also. Hard to grow healthy animals on a 80 % pine forest.
That it is. I got 3000 acres of pines with a few hardwoods left.
More hogs now than ever before.
We got good deer sence it gets rotated and cut.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That it is. I got 3000 acres of pines with a few hardwoods left.
More hogs now than ever before.
We got good deer sence it gets rotated and cut.
If the rotation is spaced out you can have good habitat. If not It creates a void in the browse and the animals suffer.Timber Co used to allow 5% hardwood to remain on a timber tract.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If the rotation is spaced out you can have good habitat. If not It creates a void in the browse and the animals suffer.Timber Co used to allow 5% hardwood to remain on a timber tract.
We have that or better.
One area about 880 got cut. It was over a 3 year time. So different little stages coming up. It’s about to get thick and hold more deer for a while. They have about cut down this half the country. Fresh cuts everywhere.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We have that or better.
One area about 880 got cut. It was over a 3 year time. So different little stages coming up. It’s about to get thick and hold more deer for a while. They have about cut down this half the country. Fresh cuts everywhere.
Thats what is hurting the turkey population also.