Keep your britches on

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
How long ago did you first hear this? Britches or breeches a nickname for pants or were they a manufactures name like Levis?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Britches=old English
Breeches=old southern

Pants are for dress.
Who says trousers???

Hillbilly stalker

Been hearing hearing and saying britches for 52 years back in the hills, called beans drying on a string " leather britches". My stepdads from South Georgia ( he's 82) he calls them dungarees.

NOYDB

BANNED
As a military brat I've heard the same thing called by many names and many things called the same name. I go with the flow and use whatever is the current local usage. I try to communicate and that means I want the respondent to understand what I mean.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Britches, all my life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Been hearing hearing and saying britches for 52 years back in the hills, called beans drying on a string " leather britches". My stepdads from South Georgia ( he's 82) he calls them dungarees.
52 years of britches here, too. And I never really cared for leather britches beans. :)

I've also heard pants or (blue) jeans a good bit, but I don't know a single person personally who uses the term "trousers." Britches is the common term most of the time.

NOYDB

BANNED
Want to fire people up start a post about the proper use of supper or dinner.

Wah, wah wah, My momma called it xxxxxx, you mean it could be called xxxxxx, in other parts of the world? wah, wah wah.

At the time it came up some posters got downright emotional.

Big difference in how a small moving flow of water is called. Stream, rivulet, brook, wash, creek, crick, slough, ditch and I'm sure more. At some point it becomes as river, not sure if there is rule about when.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I reckon it all starts from where you were born. Pants or britches was what I worn growing up in the south. Overalls were anything that had a strap.
Water flow was simple too ifn you growed up knowing the difference. Starts with a seep or a spring which is two different things. A seep is a wet spot that water flows from sometimes. A spring has water flowing out of the ground. A spring generally is the start of a steam. Two streams running together form a creek. Several creeks form a river. A slough is a high water cut off of a river. Ditches are man made and run either beside a road or man made to drain certain areas.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Wah, wah wah, My momma called it xxxxxx, you mean it could be called xxxxxx, in other parts of the world? wah, wah wah.

Big difference in how a small moving flow of water is called. Stream, rivulet, brook, wash, creek, crick, slough, ditch and I'm sure more. At some point it becomes as river, not sure if there is rule about when.
You just need to keep your britches on. ?

NOYDB

BANNED
I reckon it all starts from where you were born. Pants or britches was what I worn growing up in the south. Overalls were anything that had a strap.
Water flow was simple too ifn you growed up knowing the difference. Starts with a seep or a spring which is two different things. A seep is a wet spot that water flows from sometimes. A spring has water flowing out of the ground. A spring generally is the start of a steam. Two streams running together form a creek. Several creeks form a river. A slough is a high water cut off of a river. Ditches are man made and run either beside a road or man made to drain certain areas.

Works for you. But varies by location.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I’ve called them and heard them called briches all my life :
“go Break me off a hickory and pull them britches off boy “
“You’ve done got too big for your britches “
“Go you Silver britches “
“Did you crap your britches ? “

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member

Whether it was the noon dinner meal or the evening supper meal, I had to have on britches & a shirt before I sat down at the table.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts