Keeping your catch

longbowdave1

I'm new to kayak fishing. I must admit, i enjoy panfishing the most. I like to keep some fish for a meal too. I bought a floating fish basket to tow along in the yak. I've seen others that fill a 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of water and keep it on the boat for a make shift livewell. What is your method that works for you?

stubrew

I'm new to kayak fishing. I must admit, i enjoy panfishing the most. I like to keep some fish for a meal too. I bought a floating fish basket to tow along in the yak. I've seen others that fill a 5 gallon bucket with a few inches of water and keep it on the boat for a make shift livewell. What is your method that works for you?

I'm a fish basket guy also.

longbowdave1

Ill have to see what size cooler would fit up front. I have a few small coolers at home that might work. Fish on ice does make for some firm fillets when cleaning them.

j_seph

Why not a stringer? Simple, little storage volume, even a pieces of paracord.

j_seph

Yes, thought about that option as well. Got to see what works out for me.
Wouldn't see a problem with it myself as that is how I will do it if I decide to keep fish. Luckily we ain't got no gators up this way to worry about grabbing them LoL

Stang

I've tried a stringer and a basket but felt like I was dragging a wind sock. Slowly moving while fishing isn't bad but when you decide to go back to the ramp, truck or new fishing area throw the fish on deck. You can definitely feel them holding you back and will act like a rudder at times....my experience anyway.

dirtnap

Why not a stringer? Simple, little storage volume, even a pieces of paracord.
Was fishing in St Joseph Bay and had a stringer with 2 or 3 trout on it and had about a 6 or 7 ft shark come swimming by? Decided I better put them in the kayak. Them was some good underwear too

ryanh487

Had a turtle ? or 2 try to swim off with my stringers
Had a bass steal 2 or 3 big ol bream off my stringer one time. Swallowed em tail first and thrashed around until the head popped off. After the last one I finally got him to bite my rooster tail, but he broke the end off the ultralight I was fishing with. Right as I got him to the bank. He was only 3 lbs, too, and he went on the stringer himself.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

jeardley

Was fishing in St Joseph Bay and had a stringer with 2 or 3 trout on it and had about a 6 or 7 ft shark come swimming by? Decided I better put them in the kayak. Them was some good underwear too
I had the same thing happen to me in St Joe Bay 4-5 years ago (Only 1 trout though). I bought the Kayak bag from Academy for my next trip down there. It works pretty well, and I've put a limit of trout plus a redfish in it. It hold Ice pretty good to. I put about 1/3 of a 10lb bag in and it's still cold a few hours later after being in the sun. Was a good investment I've been happy with.

Upatoi Sportsman

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy made one of those kayak bags from windshield reflectors for your car. Also for short trips those hot/cold bags you can get at grocery stores work also.