keeping your powder dry

pdsniper

I have made easy slip off covers for me and my friends for our muzzle loaders and sharps rifles I made some from oil skin and some from rubberized canvas they are quick and easy to get off and don't make any noise

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Damp air, nothing. If you have a rifle that damp air will affect your charge, you need a new rifle. Ditto if you need to put anything over the end of the barrel. I have never had any issues with dampness, really. I have hunted all day in the hard rain with a caplock many times, and never had it fail to fire. And I don't put any crap over the end of my barrel or such. Like Nic said, keep the barrel pointed down and the lock/breech under your arm. I don't like hunting in the rain with a flintlock. I have had a few misfires with those. But, if it isnt pouring, the keep it under your arm works too. I don't see how it could be an issue with an inline unless it's built awful shoddy.

I've only had one misfire that I remember, and I remember it very well cause it was on a strong buck 3 or 4 years back in the last minute of daylight on the last day of a bunch of days before we had to pack up and head back to MO. Shot sounded like a match being struck.

Only thing I can remember that may have caused it to be wet is the day before we had a massive dew and I was in a blind at daylight with my smoker leaned against the blind. I remember moving my gun because it was getting so wet from dew coming off the top of the blind.

All that being said, I've kept a piece of black tape across my barrel when calling for bad weather ever since I first picked up a ML. We didnt have bad weather that week lol

Wayne D Davis

I have a Winchester X 150.....50 cal. It is bolt action and collects moisture . Also scope installed so I have a time keeping rain out. Any suggestions20190824_100605-600x1067.jpg

Darkhorse

I have a Winchester X 150.....50 cal. It is bolt action and collects moisture . Also scope installed so I have a time keeping rain out. Any suggestionsView attachment 980885

Yes, sell the inline and get a good caplock to start with. Then after you master the caplock get a good flintlock and master that. Then you will enjoy muzzle loading much more than you do now.
You will be free of that moisture attracting bolt action and the scope that keeps beading up with water and covered by fog.
When it rains load your rifle in a dry place, then place a cap over the nipple tightly, squeeze it to tighten it up, then place a small piece of rubber you cut off a bicycle tire over the cap and gently let the hammer down on the rubber. If a shot presents itself raise the hammer and remove the rubber and take your shot.
In addition you can cover the muzzle with tape.
When you clean your gun instead of putting oil on the barrel put a couple of heavy coats of wax on both the metal and the wood. Wax will protect your gun better than oil and when you come in from hunting take a clean cloth and buff out the fingerprints and your metal will be rust free. I wax all the guns I hunt with including the 2 flintlocks I built.

Wayne D Davis

Yes, sell the inline and get a good caplock to start with. Then after you master the caplock get a good flintlock and master that. Then you will enjoy muzzle loading much more than you do now.
You will be free of that moisture attracting bolt action and the scope that keeps beading up with water and covered by fog.
When it rains load your rifle in a dry place, then place a cap over the nipple tightly, squeeze it to tighten it up, then place a small piece of rubber you cut off a bicycle tire over the cap and gently let the hammer down on the rubber. If a shot presents itself raise the hammer and remove the rubber and take your shot.
In addition you can cover the muzzle with tape.
When you clean your gun instead of putting oil on the barrel put a couple of heavy coats of wax on both the metal and the wood. Wax will protect your gun better than oil and when you come in from hunting take a clean cloth and buff out the fingerprints and your metal will be rust free. I wax all the guns I hunt with including the 2 flintlocks I built.
I found a deal on a Traditions Pursuit LT..... break open breach. Is taped for sights and has rail for scope....75 bucks. Looks very clean

hambone76

Wayne, I’ve carried my CVA Optima Elite in wet/rainy weather and never had an issue with moisture. My buddy has the CVA Wolf and his has served him well also. I like the way they lock up solid. Never used a balloon for the barrel, although I know guys who swear by it.

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulations ! Man that's great ! I'll bet you made some serious memories on those hunts !

GeorgiaBob

I have a leather frizzen cover that does a good job keeping the powder in the pan dry. I used to cover the muzzle with a piece of rubber like a tiny condom (I forget where I bought those) but discovered a tiny piece of Saran Wrap and a rubber band was more effective on my .50 flintlock. Only one misfire ever from wet powder in the frizzen, and that was my fault for thinking I could pull the cover, shoulder the rifle, cock, aim and fire in a hard rain without any water getting in the pan - dumb move, but the deer wasn't bothered at all and he wandered off long before the rain let up!

I have also hunted (not recently) with a modern build Model 1853 Enfield percussion. I put soft wax around the outside of the nipple to prevent leaks on one end and a wooden plug (with a big red bump on the top so I can see that I still have to pull the plug before I shoot it out) in the muzzle. Never had a misfire from wet powder.