Knapping Addiction

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep looks like I caught it also. been able to knap last three days with minimal interruption-what joy. :banana:One thing I've learned as a newbie is that knapping is a lot like turkey hunting-it takes patience and close attention to detail and that is really paying off I think.
Here's a couple knives from last two days-small corner tang is 1.8 inches long and 0.7 inches wide; other blade is 3.35 inches long and 0.9 inches wide.

Attachments

• IMG_0551 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0551 (600 x 450).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0557 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0557 (600 x 450).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0556 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0556 (600 x 450).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 412

Nugefan

Wooooo Hoooo ...:banana: :banana:

look at them flake scars .... :cool:

I need me a winter place to knap .....:banginghe

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lookin` good Butch!

You ain`t doin` that inside, where there is central heat and air, are you?

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Knapping shed

Lookin` good Butch!

You ain`t doin` that inside, where there is central heat and air, are you?

Well Nick my knapping shed-dog house does have almost all the conviences of the house-indoor plumbing,frig.,microwave,computer,etc.plus central heat and air. Sure makes it nice in inclimate weather. For safety sake, I have fans and an exhaust box powered by a squirrel cage furnace fan to help with all the grinding stone and rock dust.

GAnaturalist

Alright, I have to post some of my stuff too. Texas chert arrowhead, and quartz cross with a quilled knife sheath on brain tanned buckskin.

Attachments

• 021008_2053a.jpg
    021008_2053a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 021008_2053b.jpg
    021008_2053b.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 259

choctawlb

Nice point, real nice quillwork. Did you do the sheath quillwork. I've always wanted to try it, just ain't got around to it.
Ken

GAnaturalist

Yes I did the quillwork, I use to live in South Dakota. Poor porks, you can just walk right up to them and bang em over the head, and there is your quills.

funny thing is you can see in the pic, on the top of the sheath, where I accidently burnt the buckskin when I tried to smoke it. I had a "flame up". I tried to scrap away the burnt patch, but you can still see it a little. I was young. (and for those that don't do buckskin, I don't mean smoke it like a pipe, just coloring, etc. with smoke)

60Grit

That looks like it takes some serious patience right there.

Good looking work.

P

potsticker

Dang buddy, if id have knowed you had a problem with kiddenapping, i could have got you some good mental help, maybe a lawyer. I kinda hate to see those people just dissappear.

choctawlb

All I can say for "Primative Skills" is they are very addictive, for me anyway. I love all of it, Braintanning, Blacksmithing, Flintknapping, and other earthskills. But knapping just has this power over me, I can't hardly walk past a piece of knappable rock, without picking it up and working it. Can't explain it, but some of ya'll know what I'm talking about.:huh:
Ken

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All I can say for "Primative Skills" is they are very addictive, for me anyway. I love all of it, Braintanning, Blacksmithing, Flintknapping, and other earthskills. But knapping just has this power over me, I can't hardly walk past a piece of knappable rock, without picking it up and working it. Can't explain it, but some of ya'll know what I'm talking about.:huh:
Ken

Yep, sure do! ;) All except for blacksmithin`! I`ll trade for my iron work. :p