Knife Forging For Beginners

Patriot44

Banned
Hey All,

My son asked yesterday if we could start a new hobby and when I asked what, he said knife making. So, looking to see what is all involved for getting started.

I’ve done a few searches this morning, but thought that I would ask here.

Any tips on getting started? Any recommendations on kiln/oven/furnace? Of course we don’t want to break the bank.

Thanks for any heads up?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
You might find a knife maker near you. See if he will give the boy a tour. Just so yall know what your getting into.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten

I know a guy in Emerson, he does not do knives, but some of the equipment is the same. It’s like everything else, you got to pay to play. Just have to figure out how big you want to go.
Another option is flint knapping, several experts on here that love to teach. Those knives are incredible.

onedude

I was going to tell you about Trackrock. It is a hammer in where they help kids forge knives. They have it twice a year, spring and fall. It is close to Blairsville. Anvil Head and some of his friends started it around 15-18 years ago.

I wish you had of posted a few days earlier, there was a knife show at Jaemor Farms yesterday that had 3 forges and equipment set up doing demos.

There are several groups around you could check with. Ga. Custom Knife Markers Guild, Flint River Knife Club have forging demos at their meetings from time to time. Alex Bealer is a blacksmith group that has monthly meetings in north ga. The goat n hammer is in Atlanta and they give lessons. They have a parent and child railroad knife spike lesson that would be a lot of fun. I am sure there are more.

Lilly001

You might also consider buying knife blanks and finishing those. My brother does that and turns out some realy nice knifes.
It would save a lot on equipment cost until the two of you get your feet wet.
My son is set up for the full Montey with several anvils, two forges, grinders, belt sanders, quench tanks, pre heat oven... you get the idea. He has taken over half the barn.
It is a great father son hobby. He works the iron, I pay for most of it....

AceOfTheBase

You might also consider buying knife blanks and finishing those. ....
Good idea that. I was in the same situation and learned to put scales on blanks, enjoyed it so much, never went further with forging.
Here's some of my work.
I made these full tang knives from stainless steel blanks and dymondwood scales.
Guards and bolsters are either stainles steel 416 or nickel silver.
Lanyard liners and mosaic pins are mostly brass.
Locally, _Olde Towne Cutlery_ (above Cumming) has blanks and scale material.
6326136.PICT0579b.jpg

Anvil Head

Dougie (Onedude) covered it pretty well. There are a lot of us bladesmiths on this side of Atlanta. Most of us are active members in the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild (and the other two organizations mentioned). Be glad to talk with you sometime (I'm in Acworth as well). I teach classes when time permits - life's full.

Getting started doesn't have to be near as expensive as everyone wants you to think. Most folks who have any mechanical experience and a creative mind can get started for very little cash expense. Be happy to give you some serious advice on how to get things started within reasonable limits.
Mostly it will depend on your and your son's access to & ability with tools, desires and expectations. Start simple learn the basics well then worry about bling and advanced techniques. Most of all don't buy into everything you see on Forged in Fire - mostly theater and not common practice or common sense.

Forging blades and making cutlery is every boy's dream - you play with fire, beat on things with a hammer, make sharp pointy things, make a lot of noise and get a little dirty doing it ....... what's not to like?

Sending you a pm with contact info.