Knives

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve used everything from a simple folding pocketknife, to a custom skinner, to flint and obsidian flakes to skin and break down deer. My favorite steel blade is a 3 inch Nessmuk knife with stag handles, made by Hank Hammond, godogs57 here on the forum. It`s the knife on my hip when I`m hunting.

red neck richie

I like a buck knife with a gut hook for easy opening and a rubber grip so my hand won't slip. 20180804_104932-1.jpg

Last edited:

whitetailfreak

I`ve used everything from a simple folding pocketknife, to a custom skinner, to flint and obsidian flakes to skin and break down deer. My favorite steel blade is a 3 inch Nessmuk knife with stag handles, made by Hank Hammond, godogs57 here on the forum. It`s the knife on my hip when I`m hunting.

That Nessie is a bute, and about the perfect huntin knife. I'm thinking real hard about ordering its twin.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A 40 to 50 year old Gerber folding lock back wiht a 2-1/2 inch blade mostly. I used it on my first deer 33 years ago (I came late to deer hunting).

I got a larger Gerber a few years back but I still like the little one better.

Deernut3

My Grandad was a custom knife maker and his are top notch. For store bought the Outdoor Edge Swingblade is awfully hard to beat.

Major Wader

I use one made by Barry Dawson before he retired. His nieces and nephews now run their business. Today's are high carbon steel, cerakoted to prevent rust.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My go to knives. The dark flint flake skinned, quartered, removed the backstraps off a deer, and is just one example of many I`ve used. The Coastal Plains flake skinned a fox down to the claws. The Nessmuk`s are Hank`s design. It don`t take much to skin a critter. The Old Timer is like my hat, pistol, and handkerchief. It goes where I go.cinnabar1.jpgBOURBON.jpgNessmuk1.jpgflint flake fox.jpg559385_343571772376770_736414341_n.jpg

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Carbon steel.....case, old timer, etc

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Like Nic said, I've skinned deer with everything from a flint flake to a fillet knife. I own a pile of knives, from production models to custom-made stuff.

But my go-to by a long shot is my old Old Timer OT77Muskrat skinner carbon steel pocketknife that has been my daily companion for the last 35 years, since my teenage trapping days. Just the right size and shape blades for the job. It's skinned/cleaned countless deer, bear, hogs, groundhogs, coons, possums, muskrats, mink, foxes, coyotes, otters, rabbits, squirrels, game birds, domestic animals, trout and other fish and who knows what else over the decades.

It's getting beat up and wore out about like its owner, but I would be utterly lost without it in my pocket.

pocketknife.jpg

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Old Timer 1430t, USA made. Used it for years and years, somehow lost it recently probably laid on the bumper, and it's hard to find a replacement.schrade-timer-1430t-stainless-steel_1_7735fc97a6235390c1aa63a4ed494b23.jpg