Knocking Rust Off a Tin Lantern

heggy

Neighbor ask me if I would try to retore a tin lantern her grandfather made.
Below is the original condition.
Original Condition.jpg
Not shown in the above photo is a hole punched into the top part of the lantern. There was an old lamp base with SJ cord and a 2 prong plug hanging from the inside by a piece of cooper wire.

Below is the tin lantern soaking in 3 gallons of WD-40 rust remover.
1680488914852.jpeg
The bubbles on the surface of the soaking solution is the outline of the tin lantern.

Not satisfied with the results of the rust removing soaking solution, I asked a friend if I can borrow his sand blaster. My friend uses the sand blaster for his model trains. Below is his setup.
1680489122187.jpeg
1680489131647.jpeg
About 20 minutes in the sandblaster, I liked the results.
1680489185991.jpeg
Applied WD-40 rust inhibitor.
1680489228308.jpeg
Using a combination of 1/8 and 1/4 plumbing pipe fittings and a porcelain socket, a light was installed.
1680489348720.jpeg
1680489330177.jpeg
Not going to win any prizes, but my neighbor was happy.
Enjoy!!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That looks great. You did a good job on it.

Anvil Head

Nice job, bet they are happy with results.
FYI
Electrolysis works faster and easier. Do a google search or U tube search. Pretty simple to rig up with a 5 gal bucket some wire and a battery charger.
Biggest trick is to seal the metal as soon as you get it dried well or rust will start back up.

heggy

Nice job, bet they are happy with results.
FYI
Electrolysis works faster and easier. Do a google search or U tube search. Pretty simple to rig up with a 5 gal bucket some wire and a battery charger.
Biggest trick is to seal the metal as soon as you get it dried well or rust will start back up.
Thanks Anvil. Will give it a try next time.