Knowledge of right/wrong, or tree of Life

StriperAddict

There was some discussion about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil recently, that i think this gives some insight. Simple and profound, I caught this note by Will Gunter to share. Enjoy:

Thoughts to ponder???

Recently someone said to me, “I guess I just need to try and be a more balanced person.” My response was, “Do you really think Jesus was rejected, tortured, and suffered on a cruel cross to make us balanced people?” Another way of putting it is, did Jesus endure all of that so we could work really hard at trying not to be so bad, but instead be good? This is the trap we all fell into when Adam and Eve ate from that forbidden tree, (the tree of knowledge of good and evil). Now their eyes would be open to all kinds of ways (both good and evil ways) to protect themselves and try to get their needs met apart from Jesus. A friend and mentor said to me once, When we are being tempted by Satan He will always present us with two choices, “right” or “wrong” and he doesn’t care which one we choose. The question for us as believers in Christ is not what is right or what is wrong? The question is, “Will this choice give me life or death?” Romans’ 8:6 says, “For the mind set on the flesh (good looking or evil flesh, my addition here) is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.”

Jesus is inviting us to get off of that tree of good and bad all together and instead get on the tree of Life which was also in the middle of the garden by the way. Don’t over complicate it, it is simply an invitation to come to Jesus. John 10:10 says, “The thief comes to steal and kill and destroy (like Mickey said to Rocky when training to fight Apollo, “he doesn’t just want to beat you, he wants to hurt you permanently”); I came that they may have life and have it more abundantly.”

It’s yours if you want it

===================

Can't fully speak for the author but I think this speaks to our need for Christ wether we find ourselves outsiders or embracing His life now as believers.

The same grace that rescued us also sustains us, no additional tree of flesh-ly effort a value again.

welderguy

There was some discussion about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil recently, that i think this gives some insight. Simple and profound, I caught this note by Will Gunter to share. Enjoy:

Thoughts to ponder???

Recently someone said to me, “I guess I just need to try and be a more balanced person.” My response was, “Do you really think Jesus was rejected, tortured, and suffered on a cruel cross to make us balanced people?” Another way of putting it is, did Jesus endure all of that so we could work really hard at trying not to be so bad, but instead be good? This is the trap we all fell into when Adam and Eve ate from that forbidden tree, (the tree of knowledge of good and evil). Now their eyes would be open to all kinds of ways (both good and evil ways) to protect themselves and try to get their needs met apart from Jesus. A friend and mentor said to me once, When we are being tempted by Satan He will always present us with two choices, “right” or “wrong” and he doesn’t care which one we choose. The question for us as believers in Christ is not what is right or what is wrong? The question is, “Will this choice give me life or death?” Romans’ 8:6 says, “For the mind set on the flesh (good looking or evil flesh, my addition here) is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.”

Jesus is inviting us to get off of that tree of good and bad all together and instead get on the tree of Life which was also in the middle of the garden by the way. Don’t over complicate it, it is simply an invitation to come to Jesus. John 10:10 says, “The thief comes to steal and kill and destroy (like Mickey said to Rocky when training to fight Apollo, “he doesn’t just want to beat you, he wants to hurt you permanently”); I came that they may have life and have it more abundantly.”

It’s yours if you want it

===================

Can't fully speak for the author but I think this speaks to our need for Christ wether we find ourselves outsiders or embracing His life now as believers.

The same grace that rescued us also sustains us, no additional tree of flesh-ly effort a value again.

Not sure this fellow has a solid grasp on James 2:14-26.(balance of faith and works)

Last edited:

gordon 2

And so I have taken up the invitation to come to Jesus and he tells to love God and neighbour. He further tells me that the least of them are as Me. HE TELLS ME THAT THOSE OF iSREAL ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES OF ABRAHAM'S--that Jesus ministered and ministers to all as equals. I am to raise no barriers of hate to an enemy and must love him a an equal... So why does not His Grace make it that I will fall as my fathers did to hate and even claim the reverse of His teaching as His? Do I have work to do? And when I hate is my soul taken away from me?and there fore misguided as to the will of God? Even to the points of calling good evil,and evils good? And all this time claiming to be under His grace?

WHY DOES MY MORALITY CHANGE WITH CIRCUMSTANCES--IS GOD'S GRACE ALL i NEED?

Last edited:

gordon 2

OK, when y'all had your heads bowed down on the issues of grace,Jesus walked by six times. ???

Madman

We miss something very important, it is not about behaving it is about becoming. We are to be "transformed to the likeness of his son". We are to be deified.

StriperAddict

OK, when y'all had your heads bowed down on the issues of grace,Jesus walked by six times. ???
I don't think being lead of God's grace is in any way putting our heads in the sand, do you? The scripture makes it clear that God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness. And being lead of his spirit and Grace is a positive thing. Where do you possibly have an objection to that?
Be careful of Pride, it can raise its ugly head and all shapes and sizes. I am well aware of it as well, and well aware of all my weaknesses. God's grace is not just a salve over that, but it is a leading, a directing a reality into the truth of God's love which I desperately want to know heartly, and share with all !!

Peace.

gordon 2

Granted. That the dogmas on grace are directives. Directives to Jesus perhaps. In Jesus as a teacher is perhaps the truth of Gods love for you? What is it we share in fellowship and we hold as common? What is in us that we are brothers? And as to pride, I cannot muster much of it to defend myself of its accusations. Peace in God is my salve to your desperations.

gordon 2

Is it possible to latch on to God's grace and know no intimacy with Jesus' recent directive to "Follow me."?

StriperAddict

Is it possible to latch on to God's grace and know no intimacy with Jesus' recent directive to "Follow me."?
I believe that the holy spirit lives to bind these two together. Divine love being transformational must also be horizontally and vertically relational. Heart intimacy a welcome fruit, yes?

gordon 2

I believe that the holy spirit lives to bind these two together. Divine love being transformational must also be horizontally and vertically relational. Heart intimacy a welcome fruit, yes?

Well the original post I understand to be on the subject of the intelectual or reasonable understanding of the work done on the cross whereby we are motivated to do good. It is about understanding from reason. But is it always a transformational event? I think not.

Is heart intimacy more than a fruit of the intellectual appreciation of Grace? I think yes. In my case it is the heart of Christ which creates or recreates the intellect itself. At the foot of the cross I weep and at the resurrection I jump for Joy. To follow after Christ is everything and to meet with him is an event. And from the event us tax collectors have a change of hearts and I would submit much less is changed from an exchange or reasonings of the intellects on the infinite of grace and we have no works of faith, that there is no use in preparation, in the work of preparation to meet up with the Glory of God and to be walk in his will.