ladder stands driving me crazy - suggestions please

habersham hammer

Here are two ladder stands that I have up. Let me say this, it's the same two trees that they have been on for years and I have killed a ton of deer where they are at. There are no other trees around them that are better as far as location. In other words these are the best place and the right tree for the area they are in.

Here is my problem. They were both 12 feet until a month ago and I added 3 foot extensions to both and put them back up on the same trees. However there is something I didn't notice when they were shorter that I notice now. If you look at them when standing away from the tree such as the picture shows, they look crooked now as a dog's hind leg. If I put a level on the seat though it shows them to be level. This is driving my OCD crazy.:mad::mad:

Suggestions ? Leave them as is and hunt or keep messing with them until I reach a happy medium?:huh::huh:

Attachments

• ladder3.png
    ladder3.png
    822.5 KB · Views: 1,784
  • ladder1.png
    ladder1.png
    788.3 KB · Views: 1,788

biggdogg

The ladders are fine. The trees aren't straight. It isn't as noticeable when the ladder is 3 feet shorter.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The ladders are fine. The trees aren't straight. It isn't as noticeable when the ladder is 3 feet shorter.

^^This^^^... I also run christmas garland up each leg of my ladder's and make it look like a vine.

Gut_Pile

The tree is crooked

Unless you want to be leaning one way or the other and your stand be wobbly and uncomfortable, there is nothing you can do.

Jim Boyd

As long as it is safe and secure - just keep hunting brother....

I have many that are at or taller than 20' and you should see them - they are scary looking!

FWIW I secure all of mine with chain and turnbuckle. Squirrels will gnaw your straps.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!

PS if you are using a level on the seat, you really do have some OC in you!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You need to put a level on each step to make sure its level the whole way up the treestand.:clap::cool:::ke::bounce::biggrin2:

Meriwether Mike

Trim one leg shorter to get a better appearance.:D

nmurph

Run a cable to a nearby tree and pull the subject tree straight...kind of like braces for your hunting tree.

specialk

hunt facing AWAY from the tree.....this will help....

T-N-T

What in the world?

Johnny 71

Junebug
Why did you change them? You were killing a ton of deer like they were?
Probably be best to get a scope with a level on it

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Hammer,

I didn't realize that there was another member on here that was possibly "equal to the the Chief OCD" member on here (yep sinclair1) and I don't think that he is a hunter. He lives on the northside of Atlanta and has a lakehouse down on Lake Sinclair (hence his screen name, I believe).

I really like sinclair1 as he is probably smarter than 98 % of the members here because he thinks through every situation at least 10 times before making a final decision on anything. I frequently read his posts on here and I have learned a lot of things from him.

As I thought about your ongoing situation I realized that I knew exactly what to do to "fix this situation completely" BUT I thought that I would send a telepathic message to sinclair1 just to get his advice as well. Upon me receiving this telepathic message back from him, his solution turned out to be the same as my remedy. So now, with two votes that equal 50% OCD (yes, he is 100 % OCD and I am 0% OCD, so I averaged it out), here is your easy fix answer if you must feel that your deer stand is leaning too much one way or the other.

It is simple, just decide which side of the ladder is leaned too much off kilter, then just take the other "foot" of the ladder base and move it just enough away so that you can mark a spot on the ground and then take a hammer and a metal pipe or solid bar and hold it in place while you carefully hammer it down a little in the ground and make the size hammered down to fit the bottom foot of the ladder. Sometimes, it only takes 1/4"-1/2" tamped down as such. That way, it evens up the two bottom legs on your ladder and it will fit much better against your tree as it will be more level to the tree. Just make sure to use a strong attached mechanism (preferably a locked chain and turnbuckle) at the top of your ladder so that it doesn't come loose.

I have solved that problem many times over my hunting career as I have used a lot of ladder stands attached to trees with turnbuckles and locked chains. It doesn't tear up any trees and can be moved from place to place if needed.

Since sinclair1 is not a hunter, he frequently hangs out in the CampFire Forum and several others. I hope that yall's paths might cross soon. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!!!! :D:D:D:pop::pop:

chrisw1073

Levels don't lie, unless it's broke. You only have two options. Leave it level and drive your OCD crazy, or make it aesthetically pleasing and sit uneven. Your choice.