Lake Eufaula Report?

stumpman35

Has anyone been on Lake Eufaula recently? I am going this weekend and was wondering what the water is like? Are the bass in the backs of the creeks? Any info would be great, thanks!

jcbcpa

The following was written by a retired guide on Lake Eufala for The Angler Magazine.
I received it in an e-mail.

COPEING WITH TRANSITIONS In the deep south December is the month to expect fish to be scattered from deep to shallow and back again within just a few days. The water has been in a cooling trend for most of November but it is the freezing cold or even the teens that December brings that plummets the water temperature to frigid. Sudden and dramatic barometric pressure changes that fish have not experienced in months can alter their demeanor. All game fish movement is dictated by the many variables that mother nature imparts on us with unexpected severity. Water temperatures and oxygen levels play a big part in any particular species comfort zone, including prey. Flash floods or heavy rainfall in concentrated areas will cause water clarity and P.H. factors to jump like a ping-pong ball. Almost all weather related frontal systems are followed by strong, cold N.W. winds which rapidly change the water surface and subsurface temperatures . Excessive rainfall can create higher water levels with more generation time on electricity producing impoundments, which disturbs the norm for the ledge holding patterns. Fish holding structure also becomes askew with aquatic vegetation diminishing and only sparse patches remaining in areas that were previously matted. Fish that were relating to this mentioned structure are sticking tightly to the remains or migrating to a different holding pattern. Prey are desperately searching for cover. Predator and prey alike scatter to the far reaches of big reservoirs or even small lakes in search of food and tranquility. It is during December more than any other month when anglers must be versatile and adapt to the changes at hand. Changes in type lures ,lure sizes, retrieve variations and even colors is mandatory for success. It is not so much as match the hatch,” not much is hatching in December” , as it is with matching witts against mother nature and whatever species you are pursuing that proves them superior.

stumpman35

Thanks! Do you think the cold front will shut down the topwater bite? I've read some articles saying that a cold front in the fall can get the bass fired up. I've always thought a cold front was a bad thing for fishing.