Lake Tobesofkee campgrounds

Thread starter #1

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
Which is better...Arrowhead or Claystone for RV camping, and why? Would like to get near the water. Thinking of first fall trip there just for weekend, haven't been in years, heard they have been rebuilt or redone the campsites in last few years? Thanks in advance!

Oldstick

They are both about equal in my opinion. The negative is they lost a lot of the tree during storms in the last few years, put on the other hand they built a lot of new RV sites that are close to the water in both parks. I think most of the new sites have sewer hookups as well. Plenty of shoreline to tie up boats at both parks. It kind of depends on which has the scenery you like. Claystone is a higher hilltop bank and Arrowhead is lower and flatter

Thread starter #3

flynlow

Thanks OS, I called one of the park rangers yesterday and found out Arrowhead has the least amount of vacancy so that makes me wonder if it's nicer or better for some reason. I found some online maps of both parks and some pics but none of the pics describe where they were taken so it's hard to tell which is which but we're gonna try out Claystone since they had more spots available then we'll scout out Arrowhead so we'll know next time. Thx again sir.

Oldstick

That sounds about right. Seems like we always found Arrowhead to be more full because they have a lot of sites that are right on the water. Very popular with the boat crowd. A lot of the newer sites at Claystone are overlooking the water, but still a short walk down the hill if you have a boat tied up. Nice quiet cove for fishing at Claystone though. Both parks very nice for a county run park.

You might already be familiar with the area, but definitely hit up the Fish & Pig Restaurant right outside the entrance to Claystone, one of the most popular in Bibb Co. They probably have some good seafood coming in about now and I think they sometimes have live music on weekends.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

flynlow

Yea, haven't been to Fish & Pig in years either but heard they were still kickin so we might have to check it out too. Looking forward to first fall trip, hoping this weather tames down, something about having to turn on the ac when camping just don't seem right but if that's what I gotta do for us to be comfy then I'll still take it over being just about anywhere else. We're going in couple weeks, I'll update thread later with info on each park. Thanks OS.

Stroker

Claystone is best for large RV's and campers and is more convenient to restaurants, gas, movies, and groceries. Arrowhead is more for tent camping. Fish &Pig has great seafood and bar, the live music has ended till Memorial Day.

Thread starter #7

flynlow

Have reservations for claystone this weekend. Took a stroll through there few days ago on a dry run, picked a good spot with "some" privacy next to woods although most are relatively close together with the exception of just a couple spots. $22/night with power, water, cable, no sewer, or $25/night FHU.

All the waterfront spots already taken but they are all close together so if you don't get right up front then your view is blocked or partially by neighbor anyway but there are a few spots with a lake view to be had.

This will be our re-maiden on our travel trailer after major leak repairs. Little did we know (haven't used it in several years) it had been leaking around the slideout and rotted everything around the top, both sides, and half the floor. I thought it was a goner, but buddy carpenter of mine helped me tear it all out and rebuild all the way around, better than new since we used treated pine instead of glued together sawdust. :(

Can't wait...this fallish weather has us stoked and Fish and Pig is on the menu for Saturday night! :p

Last edited:
Thread starter #10

flynlow

With all the water damage you were talking about. Did you notice any mold starting up.
Yes but only in the areas that got wet and everything that got wet was replaced. It was a major undertaking to say the least. Not something I was comfortable doing in the beginning but after the demo was done and the rebuilding began, it was not as bad as I thought it would be but only because I had help who knew what they were doing.

I have a camp story about Claystone Park. It was the very first time we went camping as a family with our own small kids between 2 and 5 YO. We only had a smallish 4 man tent and pitched it on site #22 at Claystone. A great time was had that evening but if you look at site 22, you will notice that is the last place you want to be in a tent if a rain comes up. Yep, around 3 am thunder, then rain, then harder rain, then I realized its coming fast into the tent. I had to grab up all three kids and wade a foot deep river to the car one at a time. Luckily we only lived about 20 miles away so that's where we headed until I could come back later and get our stuff.

Thread starter #12

flynlow

Funny you should mention site 22 because I was thinking I want to try it next because I like where it sits with nobody right next to you. Doesn't look like much of a view to the lake but that's ok since its next to the woods and I like woods. Thankfully we won't be in a tent!

I had a similar experience as a teenager (no kids haha) when tent camping with a friend of mine at Vogel in Blairsville while my grandparents were in their class C in the site next to us. Middle of the night downpour and woke up laying in water LOL. Needless to say, nanny and papa got woke up from 2 drowned rats wanting in their nice and dry RV.

If I recall, the last couple of trips we've had to Claystone, we picked the pull-thru site #37. Pretty good privacy, but not that convenient to the bath house either.

Thread starter #14

flynlow

Trip was a success, even with a little rain. Not a bad place for a close by weekend or just a one night stop over. Not impressed with bathroom, only 1 commode for entire campground. Very few spots have lake view, esp when another RV is in front of you blocking the view. Overall, we had a great time, did some kayaking, fishing, practiced shooting the bow, enjoyed a campfire, and had a great meal at fish-n-pig.