Land prepped and ready

What variety of alfalfa have you planted in the past? How much of or how many acres? Based on one of your other posts, you were pleased with it?

Thread starter #6
What variety of alfalfa have you planted in the past? How much of or how many acres? Based on one of your other posts, you were pleased with it?
It’s Dekalb RR Alfalfa.

I have only planted 1/2 acre and I did that last October. And yes, I am very pleased with it. Bounced back vigorously from the drought and the deer are killing it. About to put a wireless camera on it.

I got turned on to it from a friend. He has two fields of it. One is 5 acres and the other is 6 acres. According to him, there are probably deer in it right now. It’s just nonstop.

As you know the ph is very important with the alfalfa. More so than any other crop. It will actually die in its second year if the ph isn’t correct.

From what I have been told, it will go dormant around here near Thanksgiving or so but starts to bounce back about the time our clover plots take off. Even in dormancy, the deer still flock to it. I like it so much that I am working on doing all of my plots in it. I’m sure it will take 2-3 years but imo it is better than clover by a long shot.

For weed control, it’s RR but you alternate every other spraying with 2-4-dB and Cleth. That, along with the Roundup keeps the plot weed free. Again, from what I have been told, alfalfa doesn’t deal well with competition.

If there is a downside it’s the price. I think a 25lb bag is about $400.00 or so. Pretty steep startup but my friend has a plot that’s 6 years old. Long term, I think the cost savings will be very beneficial as well as the time I save every year planting in the fall. For me, it’s my manic bean.

Good luck.
Let me know if you go that route and if so, post pics. Like you wouldn’t anyway😂

Thanks!!! I am going to give it some consideration. We've had or will have, some property changes and I want to maximize one property over another ......

Thread starter #8
Thanks!!! I am going to give it some consideration. We've had or will have, some property changes and I want to maximize one property over another ......
Just do like I did and give it a try on a small plot. It made a believer out of me.

Thread starter #11
Well, I’m finished for now. Plots have been planted and sprayed. Now I get to act like a farmer and pray for rain. I will top it off with some Cadre and 2-4-dB in about a month. Hope the deer appreciate all of he work I put into killing them.

Thread starter #12
I had good soil moisture when I planted and I got .25” of rain today. Hope to see some pnuts popping through by the weekend.