Lanier crappie today

RamblinWreck

Today I caught at least 50 crappie up north on Chestatee river arm creek. Here are all my secrets in one picture:

crsecrets1.jpg

I wasn't keeping fish today, and most were small (around 9"), but I did boat a few hammers over a lb. Basically I am prowling the creek from ramp to river, using SI to locate trees and brush with crappie on them, then using the LS to target them with jigs.

Today the gold/chartreuse hand-tied JDM was again a big favorite, tipped with a nibble. They would bite it as soon as I put it in the zone. I caught so many back-to-back I lost count.

I am still trying to find the bigger fish, so I'm going back tomorrow. Thurs I am going back to Oconee for some timber dippin as well, the fish are bigger there, or at least, the fish I catch are bigger there.

RamblinWreck

Good question. I do find it easier to catch the slab-size fish on other lakes, like Oconee, for example. I am just barely getting to learn how to catch Lanier crappie, so I am not the reason! Can't speak for others. I keep a few for the pan sometimes, 11" or better is my boat rule, but mostly I catch and release, especially during the spawn. Right now I have plenty of fish in freezer, so they all get released.

hopper

Today I caught at least 50 crappie up north on Chestatee river arm creek. Here are all my secrets in one picture:

View attachment 991997

I wasn't keeping fish today, and most were small (around 9"), but I did boat a few hammers over a lb. Basically I am prowling the creek from ramp to river, using SI to locate trees and brush with crappie on them, then using the LS to target them with jigs.

Today the gold/chartreuse hand-tied JDM was again a big favorite, tipped with a nibble. They would bite it as soon as I put it in the zone. I caught so many back-to-back I lost count.

I am still trying to find the bigger fish, so I'm going back tomorrow. Thurs I am going back to Oconee for some timber dippin as well, the fish are bigger there, or at least, the fish I catch are bigger there.
Awsome. Amazing views with the Garmin. I am way confused now. Getting a finder soon and looking at the Garmin 73 plus sv with the g52 transducer. Can the new live scope be added later? Below is what I am considering. Screenshot_20191121-094018_Chrome.jpg

RamblinWreck

The Em+73sv does have a Panoptix connector and will run the PLS system (not the LVS12, the full LVS32 + black box system), but IMO 7" is too small a screen, as I have upgraded to the 10" Em Ultra for my Livescope use on the bow of my Alweld, and moved my 9" Em+93sv to my kayak (can't wait to use Livescope on Lathem!)

A 7" screen is going to be difficult to see your lure/jig on. You need as many pixels as you can afford. I recommend at least a 9", and Bass Pro will have the 93sv on sale black Friday like last year for the same price. The PLS system never goes on sale, too popular - dang it, but check price with BBG Marine, you won't be sorry.

Yesterday I went to Oconee and did some more timber dippin'. The fish were not stacked on the trees like last time, they have moved off and scattered out for winter, but I managed to "spot and stalk" over a dozen huge fatties over 12" with the Livescope. The little gold/chartreuse hand-tied jig was again the ticket, with a nibble. All fish released.slab1121_2.jpgslab1121_1.jpgbigcrap1121.jpg

Last edited:

JROESEL

Ramblinwreck how do you have your transducer mounted?? I see you have electric steer trolling motor, I have the xi5 and I’m trying to decide how to mount the transducer, does your tm interfere with the image when your on spot lock or heading???

RamblinWreck

I use a Fishing Specialties pole mount with a tiller handle. IMO it is better to have independent aiming on a rod of some kind you can point, vs on the TM shaft, but others may like it on the TM, just depends on your preference and how you fish. The LS beam (main lobe) is said to be about 20 degrees wide, and the remote control on the MK Terrova seems (to me) not quite fine enough, and a tad jerky. Also, I use spot-lock a lot, and when the wind changes, so does the boat. So the pole is better for me.

EDIT to add: also, cable management is a factor, the LS cable to the transducer is pretty thick, and you need some other type of gizmo to mount the cable so it doesn't interfere with the TM head rotation when that thing is spinning in the wind like a possessed owl, like it sometimes does. There are some product on the market, read up on the Garmin forum at BBC.

I have the TD+pole set just deep enough so I can look 360 degrees around the boat. The TM does not interfere, it is barely visible at the apex when you point the beam right at the shaft, so it is not an issue.

Last edited:

hopper

I use a Fishing Specialties pole mount with a tiller handle. IMO it is better to have independent aiming on a rod of some kind you can point, vs on the TM shaft, but others may like it on the TM, just depends on your preference and how you fish. The LS beam (main lobe) is said to be about 20 degrees wide, and the remote control on the MK Terrova seems (to me) not quite fine enough, and a tad jerky. Also, I use spot-lock a lot, and when the wind changes, so does the boat. So the pole is better for me.

EDIT to add: also, cable management is a factor, the LS cable to the transducer is pretty thick, and you need some other type of gizmo to mount the cable so it doesn't interfere with the TM head rotation when that thing is spinning in the wind like a possessed owl, like it sometimes does. There are some product on the market, read up on the Garmin forum at BBC.

I have the TD+pole set just deep enough so I can look 360 degrees around the boat. The TM does not interfere, it is barely visible at the apex when you point the beam right at the shaft, so it is not an issue.
Next time your out take a pic of that set up with the pole if you could. I would be interested in seeing that.
Also I think that is going to be awsome viewing Lathem.

Fullnet2

There's big ones in Lanier. They bite late January to February. I've seen 2lb averages with fish close to 3. Where they hide the rest of the year I don't know.
Lucky to see 4 or 5 true 2 pounders on Lanier in a whole year. The crappie clubs on Lanier weigh in a 2 pound big fish infrequently

Josh B

It's the crappie club that weighs in Hammonds that gets the big ones. I've seen them weigh in 7 at a time over 2 lbs. And I've caught them. I've found them before they spawn where we've caught 20 off one tree. They are there

Josh B

I've seen some close. I've only caught them those 2 months. Some of those guys in that club will weigh in 2 pounders randomly all year. But they are really good at finding them and keeping spots to themselves.

Josh B

I wasn't familiar with that club and fished as a guest. I caught 2 fish over 2lbs and had some more good one's. I thought I had a chance to win or maybe big fish until a guy brought in 13lbs with 7 fish and had a 2.6lb. I realized I wasn't crap compared to those guys.