Lanier Saturday, A Few Nice Ones

Coenen

I was out last weekend in the good weather looking for Stripers, and just couldn't get on anything. I bonked one in the head with a downline, and that was my day. Decided this weekend I was going for a different look. I brought up the Navionics Chartviewer for the lake and started looking at some areas I'd never been before. Those that know me know that Bald Ridge is home, but this weekend I decided to make the big paddle out to the Dam area and see if I couldn't get on some action.

Thing one, that was a looooooooooong way to go on paddle power. Next time, I may wise up and cartop it. Thing two, I'm not sure I marked a single dang striper all day. I did luck up and catch a few spots though. There were plenty of boats out, mostly running the shallow patterns that are coming on. I actually found my fish out in the big water roaming. I put the baits out, and got a half-hearted pull pretty early on. A while later, I got a real hit, the 'Bird showed a few marks maybe about 10 feet off the bottom in 30-40 feet of water, bait got absolutely nailed!

My new, high tech(read: cheapest possible) no-name Amazon scale pegged fish one at 3.7lbs

20190209_103930.jpg

I kept poking around the West Bank area, and staring at a lot of blank screen before finding some more roaming near the bottom in the 35-40 foot range. Killed motion, and went to a vertical presentation, the fish showed up and one of the rods lays over. I missed the hook set, and while I was getting ready to send it back down, rod #2 two just leeeeeeeeans over. FISH ON! It was a donkey of a spot, about 20-21" on the board, and the scale had her right around 4.8lbs. I tried to get a release video, but I blew it. She hung for a second and chewed the top of my thumb about bloody before finally kicking off hard back into the deep.

20190209_112024.jpg

Rest of the afternoon was pretty non-descript hunted around a lot, didn't find anything really interesting. I did run over another pack of deep fish, and scored a 3rd spot that went 3lbs even. Same deal, got the 'yak pointed into the breeze and went vertical with the baits, live bait got the bite almost immediately. I'd hate to have to hang my hat on that approach, but the quality made up for the lack of quantity. Surface temps hung in the 48-49 area warming to 51 in a couple of spots.

If you can put up with the weather, they're out there to be caught! Good luck, and stay safe!

Coenen

Mr. Persistent!
WTG...
You flatter me. I'm just lucky they were nice fish.

Love the new profile pic! Hope your recovery is going smoothly, and getting easier.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Thanks. Recovery is slower and more painful than I imagined.
But soon it will be just as easy to fish with the pain as it is to sit on the couch with the pain.
Looking forward!

Coenen

Thanks. Recovery is slower and more painful than I imagined.
But soon it will be just as easy to fish with the pain as it is to sit on the couch with the pain.
Looking forward!
Stay committed to all of that PT, it makes all the difference in the outcome. (y)

Cletus T.

Nice repot and nice fat bellied fish!!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us

Rabun

Looks good Coenen! You got a couple fatty's there! Curious...Have you ever ventured way back in Bald Ridge creek and had any luck there? I've caught a few winter time stripers in the back of the creek in the past.

j_seph

Crazy question, if ya were to flip that yak what happens to the hummingbird? Besides it gets submerged.

Coenen

Nice repot and nice fat bellied fish!!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us
Thanks, man!
Looks good Coenen! You got a couple fatty's there! Curious...Have you ever ventured way back in Bald Ridge creek and had any luck there? I've caught a few winter time stripers in the back of the creek in the past.
I have, but not in a while. I've caught some fish back there as well, but more towards the spring. It might be worth a look now since they've definitely moved out of the areas I was targeting before the new year. I usually head out towards the main lake, it gives me some more options with areas to hit. I do like to go back there in the spring looking for largies. Lots of gar back there too when it warms up, I've got an idea in my head about trying to bag one with a fly rod.
Crazy question, if ya were to flip that yak what happens to the hummingbird? Besides it gets submerged.
Allegedly they're no worse for wear so long as you get righted quickly. I'm certainly not trying to find out, though!