Lanier Trophy Stripers Thing Of The Past

ShoalBandit

I hardly ever see it publicized anywhere mentioning the downfall of the older stripers on Lanier the last couple years. The gill maggots have wiped out most of the older stripers from stress on them. The bait stores this spring don't even sell the big shad anymore, only the smaller ones because there are no big stripers left to take the big shad. Most all pictures you see posted from guides are fish from 2 to 10 pounds at most. Pretty much a waste of time to striper fish on Lanier now if you are looking for 25 pound plus fish. I guess research will be needed to see if the gill maggots will permanently affect the trophy fishery.

It's also worth noting there are very few natural lakes above the Fall Line due to the complex geological history of the region. We're talking about artificial fisheries in manmade lakes that not only alter the natural anadromous life history of these fish but allow them to colonize upland streams where they were historically absent.

Coenen

We're talking about artificial fisheries in manmade lakes that not only alter the natural anadromous life history of these fish but allow them to colonize upland streams where they were historically absent.
Bingo. A stocked fishery will not produce a population curve that mirrors a natural one. Periods of top heaviness or bottom heaviness would seem to be unavoidable.

Teh Wicked

Its always a cycle like this...Its not like Striper reproduce in the lake naturally, in a booming economy the guides will be booked and the fishing boats will stay out in force. When the economy tanks, the fish will grow big because people don't spend money to chase them.

Fishing is an economic stimulated hobby...Even when times are the worst and you don't have a penny to your name, you can get a line wet and feed yourself most likely. If Lanier was truly left alone to support itself...You would have nothing but spotted bass and catfish...And even then, they will eventually kill themselves off to from over population and disease.

Spook

Every reservoir is different even if on the same watershed. I was netting bluebacks in 1996 from Lanier any time needed. White fish are the money makers for WRD, but spots bring in income on Lanier naturally. I hope the strain of new stock LM works on West Point, my home lake from 1978-1983. I just want healthy lakes.

robtest

Don't forget the previous fish kills... What was it like 2012-2015 they had some big kill offs? Those would be our bigger fish now, but they died long ago...