Large ground hornets nest

Big7

The Oracle
Gas is your friend just do it after dark.

EXACTLY. Go out after dark while they are temporary dormant. Pour about a 2 foot radius all around like a donut. Get about 2 layers of paper towel to lay on top of the hole. Nothing thick like old shop rags or bath towels. Get ready to roll. Pour gas into the hole, lay the paper towels on top. Add gas to paper. The goal is to kill as many as you can with the gas. That will kill them on contact. The 2 foot radius donut will get the one's that fly out, if the burning paper towels don't get them. You can do it alone. Better to get a Bud to help you. The next day pour another gallon right in the hole. That will do the trick. This is from first hand experience. Been there, done that. SEVERAL times. Works like a charm. ?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Spectracide spray, have two handy they don’t spray long. I would use gas as my other means, it’s just a lot harder to aim.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Hold your breath,close your eyes and use an old outdated fire extinguisher. If it still works it will remove all the oxygen and kill the nest instantly.
Don’t believe me? Try it. I’m guessing this technique was first learned when the gallon of gas was lit. No fire needed. Just hold your breath or it will take it. If you want to try fire first don’t pour a whole gallon!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to kill them with gas, don't set it on fire. That keeps it from killing the nest out. You want to just pour it in there and walk away. If you light it, it will very rarely kill the nest. If you just pour it on, it kills the nest almost every time.

trents99

Lay an old window screen over the entrance, after dark, dump gas in the hole. If it's up above ground level buy screen material large enough to cover it and line the perimeter with 2x4s to hold it down so none escape.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
Had one with a entrance about the size of a softball. Used a bucket with gas, dumped it in quickly and just set the bucket over the whole.
Had another with a small hole, used a Coke bottle with gas and just pushed it down in the hole.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Cup or two of gas (you don`t need much) in a 5 gallon bucket. After good dark just walk up to the nest hole, pour the gas right in the hole, and in the same motion, set the bucket down over the hole. Put a brickbat on top of the bucket to make it seal to the ground, and leave it alone till the next day. The fumes will kill the entire nest.

Doug B.

Just like this. Easy peasy.

Cup or two of gas (you don`t need much) in a 5 gallon bucket. After good dark just walk up to the nest hole, pour the gas right in the hole, and in the same motion, set the bucket down over the hole. Put a brickbat on top of the bucket to make it seal to the ground, and leave it alone till the next day. The fumes will kill the entire nest.

GunnSmokeer

I killed a yellow jacket next with gasoline. About 2 or 3 cups into the hole, and then I placed a flat-bottomed rock or brick over the hole for a day or two. The fumes killed them. I don't know if there were any survivors, but the QUEEN didn't survive, and that's all that mattered.

I killed a few more with foaming wasp spray. Shot directly down the hole. Then, when can was empty, I plugged the hole with a glass Coke bottle (small, about 12 oz.). But, some got out in the few seconds between the time I stopped pouring the gas and the time I shoved the bottle in the hole. They didn't sting me, but they could have. I'm lucky.

Tom W.

I found a yellow jacket nest in the backyard about two years ago. I'd been walking past the hole I dunno how many times going to and from the shed, but when I went and backed my car up to the shed that set them off. I got several stings. I managed to close the car door so none got in there, and ran pretty fast for an old man to the house. My neighbor witnessed it and brought me a can of Black Flag 20 ft.spray, plus I had one in the house. I waited until they settled down, found the opening and doused the hole really well. None made it out that I saw, but I was hurting so bad I cancelled my fishing trip, just in case I went into shock from the stings.

The long distance spray works wonders!

specialk

Never strike a match near gasoline...never....ever.....

bany

No one mentioned to check for a second hole! I’ve seen that before and it’s the only thing that will allow a fail on the gas or spray.

DannyW

Never strike a match near gasoline...never....ever.....

Not sure why people want to burn the hole after pouring gas in it. It's not necessary if you pour a cup or two in the hole, and it introduces the potential for disaster. Not entirely sure of what happens when you set a match to it since I have never done it, but I would be afraid of a potential explosion from trapped fumes.

But if you like watching things burn...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why people want to burn the hole after pouring gas in it. It's not necessary if you pour a cup or two in the hole, and it introduces the potential for disaster. Not entirely sure of what happens when you set a match to it since I have never done it, but I would be afraid of a potential explosion from trapped fumes.

But if you like watching things burn...
Plus, it burns off the fumes that are killing the bees.

SC Hunter

This is exactly how my daddy showed me how to do it. A brick works on top of the bucket.