Lasik and Bow Hunting

Bones

Before I had Lasik Surgery I was near sighted only and could read without wearing glasses. After having the surgery I knew that I would be able to see distances without glasses but would have to wear glasses to read. I started bow hunting this year and just realized that the sight pins were not as clear as they could be because of my sight. What is the brightest sight pin made maybe this would help. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Bones

reylamb

There are a bunch of bright pins on the market. Impact, Cobra, HHA and a few other makes very bright fiber pins.

Personally, I do not really look at the pin, per se. I focus on the target and let my subconscience mind/peripheral vision put the pin where it needs to be. Now, this works for me, but does not necessarily work for everyone. You would have to try shooting with that method to see how it works. For me, when the pins are in focus, the target, either animal or foam or paper, becomes blurry, and I would rather have the target clear and the pins blurred.

There are peeps out there with "clarifiers" in them that help to make the pins clear. You may want to check into those also. Basically it is a peep with a lens in it with some small amount of magnification.

Last edited:

PAPALAPIN

You May Not Have A Problem At All

When sighting on a deer with a sight pin, your eye should be focused at the distance of the deer, not the pin. You should bring the pin in on your secondary vision. It is going to appear blurred anyway. Try practicing shooting at a target and get used to seeing the pin as a slight blur. Bring the blurred pin in line with the target (especially through a peep). Being blurred may actually help since it is not blocking out the target spot. If you practice this enough, you will overcome it.

Another point is that a really bright pin light in low light conditions may tend to blind you to seeing the spot you want to focus on the deer or target.

Now, I shoot traditional equipment and do not use a sight. However when I did shoot a wheel bow, I used a simple non lighted 4 pin setup. My concentration and focus was on the spot I was trying to hit and I just brought the correct sigt pin into the peep and put it on the aiming spot (target or deer). The pin was blurred slightly in my secondary focus anyway.

If you are just stating to bow hunt it may take a while to get accustomed to the feel of archery and of pin sighting. Don't get frustrated, and don't give up. It is worth the effort. If you are just learning to shoot a bow, give it time and practice a lot until it becomes second nature. It "WILL" come around.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have not had an issue since getting lasik, but the green pins are far and away the brightest I own.

Jim

Razorback

reylamb & PAPALAPIN,

Okay I'm in the same boat as Bones concerning my nearsighted vision.

But

I have been shooting my bow similar to my hand gun shooting style. . .focusing on the front sight/pin & bringing the target to the front sight/pin then pulling the trigger. With my particular bow set up I have been getting 3" groups at 20 yards.

So, will focusing on the target & bringing a fuzzy sight pin onto the point of impact I want then pulling the trigger be better?

Razorback

reylamb

I do not know about better. There are very good shooters in both camps. Some focus on the target, some focus on the pin. I fall into the target category. I have a buddy that just flat out can not shoot this way, primarily he says because of his pistol background.

My shot process goes like this. I nock the arrow and attach my release. Then, I focus on the spot I want to hit. When I draw my bow I stay focused on the spot the entire time and do not look at the pin at all. I stay focused on the target the entire time. I let my subconscience mind and peripheral vision deal with the pin. Many archery coaches will tell you that the human mind can not do 2 things at once. You either focus on the target or on the pin. If I notice my focus drifting to the pin, I let down. This may not be ideal in hunting situations, but if you drill it into you mind enough, it becomes second nature.

What I did is stand 3 yards from the target with no site and just focus on the target. When that became second nature, I added the site back on. You may find it works for you, or it may not. Having handgun experience may make it harder for you to shoot with this method.

I also do not pull the trigger, but that is another discussion for another time.

reylamb

On another note, from a scientific standpoint, unless your color vision is skewed somehow, of the 3 primary colors used for site pins, green will be the easiest and brightest to see, followed by yellow, and then red, due to the size of the wavelengths of the 3 colors, ie red, yellow, and green.

Bones

Reylamb and Papalapin

I took your advise about focusing on the target instead of the pin. I concentrated on the target and then brought the pin in line with the target and fired. At times I found as Reylamb said my focus was changing from the target to the pin. I am really pleased with the results. When really concentrating on the target and bringing the pin in line and fuzzy I almost always hit the target. My groups have tightened up and I actually Robin Hooded 1 arrow. I now realize I was focusing to much on the pin and not enough on target. I want to thank both of you for your advise and would like to thank everyone who has helped me become a bow hunter. As my wife said you guys have created a monster. I love to shoot my bow.

Thanks Bones

reylamb

Glad I could help, that is what we are here for.

Just don't get frustrated if your shooting actually regresses some in the coming weeks. Often, a change, whether equipment or form, has an immediate improvement, a then a slight regression as it becomes an ingrained habit rather than a conscience thought process. If regression happens and your groups suffer, take the site off and shoot close, or put the bow down for a day or 2. As with everything else, it takes time to make your body do this without thinking about it.