Last Covey of the Day

spring

The shadows were getting long at the end of day mostly devoted to getting my young French Brittany, Remy, some work. We were headed back to my truck and I decided to walk thru an area I hadn’t hunted all season. We hadn’t gone in there too far when Remy started acting birdy and soon locked down. I walked into where I thought the birds might be but nothing was there. I called Remy off the point and he eased down a bit before locking down again, this time with certainty. It was a beautiful flush and I hit one but not well. The bird landed in an old cedar tree blow down. Remy’s effort to find and ultimately get him out was about the highlight.
Good times!

800298AD-EB48-4D60-BEB9-B70E45FFF512_zpse0exovcd.jpeg

Last edited:

twtabb

Like the way Remy watches the birds after the flush and does not chase them. Either we’ll trained or he has seen you miss a lot of birds.
Nice gun what is it?

spring

Well, with a camera in one hand and a .28 in the other, I'll use that as my excuse... ;)

Reactions: Dub

spring

Well, holding my phone in one hand to video it and the gun in the other, I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised (if not shocked!) to see that last bird in the covey hit... Don’t expect to pull that off again soon... ?

PappyHoel

That was fun to watch.

spring

Here's a hunt from late this morning. It was hot and muggy; 68° but felt like 86°. As you'll hear, the hunter needed to trust his dog..... :oops:

spring

As you can see, I love to video dog work. Here are a couple of covey rises from this morning:

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s some nice bird work. Like how the dog holds to release. You have done good with that one.

spring

Thanks...It takes some consistent bird work but it’s mostly for the safety of the dog. Often you do see dogs charging out as soon as the birds flush, which can put them in the line of fire.
I just adjusted that last video where you’ll hear some correction a pretty good bit after the covey rise. Still takes some work!

evan m

Thanks...It takes some consistent bird work but it’s mostly for the safety of the dog. Often you do see dogs charging out as soon as the birds flush, which can put them in the line of fire.
I just adjusted that last video where you’ll hear some correction a pretty good bit after the covey rise. Still takes some work!

Nice videos and dog! How old is Remy? How long did it take you to steady him up like that? I know all dogs are different but I have an American Britanny the just turned 2 on 2/17 and its been difficult for me to get him to stop chasing after the flush. Ive been using a waist collar and he will eventually whoa after the flush but it been tough.

spring

Evan,
Remy turned 2 last July, so he's just a bit older than your pup. He's pretty sensitive, so it doesn't take much correction to get his attention. I'd think the basics of getting your Brit on birds and consistently reminding him if he moves after a covey rise should do it.
At the beginning of this season Remy was not steady to shot. Here's a video of him on the first covey of the season. He didn't take off immediately, but before he should have. As you know, we need to stay on them! :)

Last edited: