Last minute food plot idea?

AllTerrainAngler

Due to very unfortunate circumstances and the loss of my buddy our food plots could not be planted on time this season. I'm looking for something that I could possibly plant pretty last second that may have a chance of coming up within deer season.

shdw633

Sorry for the loss of your buddy that's always tough as the season approaches. Where are your foodplots located, i.e pine rows, open field, acreage, etc. and what size are you planting (1/4, 1/2 or full acreage or just pine rows), do you already have the plots established? What kind of equipment do you have? Just about anything is fair game right now as many, such as myself, haven't even started our fall foodplots yet.

AllTerrainAngler

Sorry for the loss of your buddy that's always tough as the season approaches. Where are your foodplots located, i.e pine rows, open field, acreage, etc. and what size are you planting (1/4, 1/2 or full acreage or just pine rows), do you already have the plots established? What kind of equipment do you have? Just about anything is fair game right now as many, such as myself, haven't even started our fall foodplots yet.

Established plots, opens fields in a river bottom, I have a tractor with all of the attachments available at the moment. I did plant a bag of wildlife mix thursday and it's actually already grown to about 6". I am new to planting food plots. I've always hunted ag fields or hardwood bottoms with past properties. My buddy inheritted the property from his late father. This was his first year managing the property by himself and now since my lease is still valid I am managaing the property by myself and it's a learning experience for sure.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
You've got lots of time! Get a soil test done and see what you've got there, to prepare better for next year. We're still not sure how many acres you have and whether some "Buck on the Bag" stuff might suit you better than mixing your own.

If you mix your own, you can always go with something simple like wheat and crimson clover, and you can plant those the end of September or early October. Or you can go with one of the mixes below, but the ones with perennial clovers in them will prefer a soil ph above 6 ...... ideally closer to 6.5.

Cool season seed.JPG

catch22

You didnt say where you are located........but if you are in the south, you have 2 months to plant. We never plant our plots prior to Oct 1st. Just doesnt make sense in South Ga. If you plant cool season plots now, they will not be used...they will grow tall and tough and the deer wont use them.. There is way too much natural browse for them right now and the acorns havent even started to drop. Plus you might get army worms that will wipe them out.

If you have the implements, Id wait

shdw633

I agree with Canuck5 and if you feel that you have enough time and feel comfortable digesting the information in your time frame I would go that route. If you feel that you need more time to digest all the information or you are limited on the time you have to get them in, then I would recommend you go the "Buck on the Bag" route as Canuck5 stated and get Pennington Rackmaster and add a pound of crimson clover to the bag. That will do approximately 1/2 acre of foodplots. I would also put out dolomatic lime at the time of planting to give that seed a little kick start.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Canuck5 is good. Canuck5 is wise. Follow his advice. You have plenty of time especially if you have the gear.

Easygo

My suggestion would be to keep it very simple this year. What I am about to suggest is not by the book and will not yield 100% results. Buy a 3 way mix of oat,wheat,rye. For every 1/2 acre broadcast 2 bags of your seed mix and 2 bags of 13-13-13. Again this is not by the book but this is the method we use and we have plenty of deer that use the the entire gun season. We try and start planting around sept 15 and be done with them by oct 1. Like you I had a ton of questions the last couple of years and the people of this board helped a ton