Last week on the Cape

Rabun

Got back home yesterday after spending 5 days at Cape San Blas. We arrived Sunday evening, spent the day Monday prepping for opening of ARS season on Tuesday. We were on the water by 6:30, caught some pinfish and six of us headed SE to our numbers. Short version....had our limit of nice big snapper, a good keeper gag and healthy lane snapper by 10:30.

Wednesday had us grounded due to winds and rough seas.

Thursday it was a go. We packed up and headed to the ramp. As we were a out to push off the dock, one of our alert crew asked where the cooler was. At the house right where we left it:mad:. So the ladies went back to retrieved while the two guys stayed with the boat and put our time to use catching pinfish. We caught some nice big baits while we waited and by the time they got back, we had enough in the live well. Off we go. The seas weren't real rough. But had high rollers which ended up giving three of our anglers sea sickness. Because of the rollers we had some trouble sticking our number but finally stuck them. Ended up being the best trip we've had on the Robalo to date. 12 snapper limit with three good gags to boot. And most of the snapper were real sows. Full fish box by 11am and with sickly crew we headed for the hill. I must say that the ill one's never quit, didn't complain and were real troopers. My hat is off to them cause I've been there a d k ow how miserable a feeling that is. The seas smoothed out for the ride home and nothing but smiles by the time we hit the dock

Friday was pleasure boat day spotting dolphin, turtles, shelling and such. Was a great week at the Cape! I've got to organize my pics and will attach later today.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there! My Son is treating me to a round of golf today:)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Where's the PICS??!!!

Filled up the freezer, sounds like a great trip!

Rabun

Opening of ARS Season begins with sunrise bait catching
IMG_4453.JPG

Not many pics from day one...here's our catch. 12 ARS, one lane, one 26" gag
IMG_4420.JPG

Crew with catchIMG_4422.JPG

Day two started off with a strong bite
IMG_4437.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG

Some really nice snapper came over the rail along with three nice gags
IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Bringing day two catch to 12 ARS and three gags at 28, 27 and 25 inches

IMG_4436.JPG

Was an absolute blast fishing the fertile waters off of the Cape. We actually caught all of our fish off the same small wreck within state waters. We did a little trolling for kings, but never hooked up. Did some wade fishing Wed afternoon and caught a small trout and two small redfish. Never really gave the surf much of a try, but watched several guy's through the week fishing the beach and they landed a few keepers...a pompano and mostly whiting.

Rabun

Sea sickness is worse than hangover. It’s bad.
How are things looking down that way?

You got that right...terrible feeling that's tough to shake.

St Joe is recovering. Still many homes and shops needing rebuilding, but the community is rebounding. Town was bustling every day, restaurants were busy, and tourists were heading back. The vacation home inventory is still pretty low as the repairs continue...slowly. Eagle Harbor was in fine shape. The cut through the SP has filled in naturally and dunes are taking shape. The road leading on to the cape is a single lane for a period of time as they finish repairs....around the stump hole area. And as was mentioned the marina is gone. It's my understanding that a state of the art marina is in the planning stages and slated to be completed in a couple of years.

All in all, things are getting back to "normal" as best they can in the PSJ CSB area. I did see an advertisement for a king fish tournament being run out the Mexico Beach Marina so they must have gotten that one up and running which is great news for MB. I did not get over that way however.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Opening of ARS Season begins with sunrise bait catching
View attachment 973178

Not many pics from day one...here's our catch. 12 ARS, one lane, one 26" gag
View attachment 973179

Crew with catchView attachment 973180

Day two started off with a strong bite
View attachment 973181
View attachment 973182

Some really nice snapper came over the rail along with three nice gags
View attachment 973183

View attachment 973184

Bringing day two catch to 12 ARS and three gags at 28, 27 and 25 inches

View attachment 973185

Was an absolute blast fishing the fertile waters off of the Cape. We actually caught all of our fish off the same small wreck within state waters. We did a little trolling for kings, but never hooked up. Did some wade fishing Wed afternoon and caught a small trout and two small redfish. Never really gave the surf much of a try, but watched several guy's through the week fishing the beach and they landed a few keepers...a pompano and mostly whiting.

Nice!!!! That's lots of sammiches!!! Love seeing that rod doubled over!

burtontrout

We were at SGI this week, and we happened to go out on Wednesday during the high seas. Lets just say that was the most expensive nap ive ever took. Dramamine knocked me out and man I felt like trash. We had a bunch of luck catching reds out of the Bay, but the surf fishing was poor.

Attachments

• big red.jpg
    big red.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 18

Rabun

Dang...Sorry the seas got to you Burton and glad y'all were able to make it happen with the red fish! Wed it was blowing hard so I know it was rough and tough out there.

Rabun

Nice!!!! That's lots of sammiches!!! Love seeing that rod doubled over!

They are strong fish. One of our lady anglers almost got pulled off the front deck rod and all. She was grabbed at last minute. From then on all fishing was done from inside the gunnels.

Duff

Awesome trip Rabun!!

Heading that way in a couple weeks. Probably not going to fish though, just relax. Thanks for the update!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Nice fishbox full of snapper.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
That's a great job man!!
Nice pics!!
I like the action photo with big rod bent!!!
So cool to hear the Robalo does good offshore!!

Rabun

Thanks guys! The vacuum packer got a workout. Sea Trout the Robalo works great out there. Just have to pick your weather. 24' can get real small very quickly. Greatest asset has got to be spot lock.