Late planting

shdw633

A big part of whether you plant or not to me is when are you planning on planting in the fall. I just planted millet last week myself. If you are one that plants around the first of September then you could throw out some millet right now to keep weeds down and give the deer something to eat on when it gets close to the time for fall planting. It dies in about three months so you wouldn't really be losing anything by tilling it in for your fall plot. However, you could also add some Alyce clover to that millet and if it really takes you could possibly just over seed the plot in the fall with seeds like clover, turnips, rape or other brassicas and the Alyce will provide them cover until the first frost when the Alyce will die hopefully leaving you a nice plot of rape, clover and/or other brassicas, like turnips. The way the temps have been in the fall the Alyce may last you all the way through the rut depending on where you are planting in the state.

XJfire75

I planted soybeans and IC Peas last weekend since we finally got some rain.

The plot is only about 1/2 acre so I know it’ll be wiped out in a month or 2 so my plan is to overseed with oats and some brassicas around Sept and give me a good late season bow stand.

Good luck!

deerbuster

I didn't get around to planting my soybeans last year until almost July. They did great, and made pods!