Late Season in IL...Live From The Tree 2012!

livetohunt

Well it was good news and bad news all rolled into one seriously clustered season.

We bought a farm in Iowa and in March we started the process of moving there and building a house that would suffice until full retirement with plans that Bubba would build another house to live out his golden years (he is very old now :bounce:).

With weather delays and omish builder delays and plumber delays, the house just got completed at the end of August. We have been staying in cabins, campers, hotels and the truck to get this done.

We have spent so many hours and dollars into this that it aint funny. We have driver's licenses, registration, carry permits, bank accounts, health insurance, paying Iowa taxes, Bubba has home ownership, I have signed and dated home lease agreement with proof of payment, we both have utilities and cellphone bills, we have land ownership and no claim to residency in any other state, but because we have been previous non-residents and the house was not completed 90 days before applying for a hunting license they are delaying our residency for hunting until it can be reviewed by the higher powers that be.

Which short story long means we may not be hunting IA this season, although we are in talks with them regularly.

If it matters to anyone, this is the exact same thing I did back in 2009 when I moved from GA to IL and there wasnt a drop of push-back from IL. I lived there for 5 years before moving to IN in 2014 and again there was zero push-back from the state.

But what do you do??? Just hunt and have a blast!

That seems crazy..You both live in Iowa and have a house, but cannot get residency. Hopefully someone will see your point and allow you to hunt. I heard they were strict, but that seems extremely strict. After all, it's only deer.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
That seems crazy..You both live in Iowa and have a house, but cannot get residency. Hopefully someone will see your point and allow you to hunt. I heard they were strict, but that seems extremely strict. After all, it's only deer.

No doubt we will get it, but the 90 days completion of the house thing has us in a bind. Biggest issue is losing this year and all the work, time and money.

Worst case we sell and move 11 miles south across the MO line and hunt the same deer and terrain.

Bucaramus

Well it was good news and bad news all rolled into one seriously clustered season.

We bought a farm in Iowa and in March we started the process of moving there and building a house that would suffice until full retirement with plans that Bubba would build another house to live out his golden years (he is very old now :bounce:).

With weather delays and omish builder delays and plumber delays, the house just got completed at the end of August. We have been staying in cabins, campers, hotels and the truck to get this done.

We have spent so many hours and dollars into this that it aint funny. We have driver's licenses, registration, carry permits, bank accounts, health insurance, paying Iowa taxes, Bubba has home ownership, I have signed and dated home lease agreement with proof of payment, we both have utilities and cellphone bills, we have land ownership and no claim to residency in any other state, but because we have been previous non-residents and the house was not completed 90 days before applying for a hunting license they are delaying our residency for hunting until it can be reviewed by the higher powers that be.

Which short story long means we may not be hunting IA this season, although we are in talks with them regularly.

If it matters to anyone, this is the exact same thing I did back in 2009 when I moved from GA to IL and there wasnt a drop of push-back from IL. I lived there for 5 years before moving to IN in 2014 and again there was zero push-back from the state.

But what do you do??? Just hunt and have a blast!
I hope they get that worked out for y'all sooner than later!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So what are y’all options? Can y’all get non res licenses? Sounds like they are being sticks in the mud.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
So what are y’all options? Can y’all get non res licenses? Sounds like they are being sticks in the mud.

No go on nonres license because a non res has to have 3 or so years of preference points. Course we also cannot get resident license anywhere else either since we have Iowa residency in all aspects...well except a freaking hunting license :banginghe

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
What a nightmare JT!! at least you seem to have a great attitude about the whole ordeal... at least that's what shows to us, I imagine there have been some slinging and cussing fits mixed in for good measure..... would have been for me I can assure you. Hope yall can get all the details ironed out soon!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
What a nightmare JT!! at least you seem to have a great attitude about the whole ordeal... at least that's what shows to us, I imagine there have been some slinging and cussing fits mixed in for good measure..... would have been for me I can assure you. Hope yall can get all the details ironed out soon!

Yeah it's been interesting to say the least. Lots of choice words that momma wouldnt have agreed with :bounce:

rosco772001

Sort to hear about all the bad luck . Hope it all works out and you guys. lay the smack down this year . Bucks are starting to ramp up in central Illinois. Looking forward to LFTT.