Lathem Lately?

hopper

Anyone been to Lathem Hollis recently? finaly got my house done and moved in. Gonna have some fish time now:D. Thinking of headed over there this weekend and next week.

RamblinWreck

I am planning to go in the AM. I've only been there twice, and got skunked both times, so I ain't no expert, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: weagle went there Sunday and had some luck. Check his Pelican 100 thread..

Edit: caught a decent one this morning on a small shad-colored crankbait. My first Lathem bass, and first fish landed in my kayak. I released it.
fish1.jpg

Last edited:

weagle

Fished Lathem this afternoon (1-4:30) and caught 8. Mostly 1 to 2lb largemouths but caught one fat spot about 3lbs. Most were caught chasing schooling fish with a ned rig and neko.

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

RamblinWreck

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I am doing it wrong, only caught dinks this morning, had one fatty get off.

weagle

I broke one off that was a bigger than that spot. I'm fishing 6lb mono so I usually retie after catching a fish, especially if it's hooked deep enough that the line is wearing against the fish's teeth. Well right as I let that spot go a school busted about 20 yds out, and I hooked up with a nice one. Got it close enough to see in that clear water then rushed it a little too much and broke the line.

RamblinWreck

My best strikes came when a school broke surface nearby, and I threw a top-water lure right there - 3 of 'em swiped it, but I didn't get a hookup. A Tx rig in structure sure wasn't working. Not sure how you chase the schools?

spkoli

I was skunked on Friday. They were busting all around the lake on the top, however, they were not interested in what I was offering. Had a decent LM get off. Seems like the more successful folks are fishing afternoon/evening hours. I am always there when the gates open in the AM.

hopper

I was skunked on Friday. They were busting all around the lake on the top, however, they were not interested in what I was offering. Had a decent LM get off. Seems like the more successful folks are fishing afternoon/evening hours. I am always there when the gates open in the AM.
What were you throwing?

dank1296

Well guess no secret on Hollis Lathem caught 8 assorted spots and largemouth plus one crappie today. Alot top water action today only one on lure rest on freelining large shiners from Hammonds.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 41

hopper

Nice. Never used live bait there before. Usually do pretty good with flukes and senkos

dank1296

Ive marked some big fish on bottom but never got bites other than bass or crappie, Got to be some 15-20 pounders in there

dank1296

Im gonna hit Lathem about 830 in the morning anyone wanna meet can show you some of favorite spots. Ill be in a brown solo skiff.

RamblinWreck

I'll be there in the AM. Graying hair, brown Toyota, camo NuCanoe F12 w/trolling motor.

Edit: Got there at 8AM. Caught a few including one fatty, approx 4 lbs. Caught a few dinks on a Ned rig first. Bass were blowing up bait on top all around, and after missing at least 5 throwing to them with a whopper plopper (not sure how, every time I touch it, it "hooks" me), I tied on a Zoom swimming fluke in ice shad, and as soon as they would hit the top I would cast in there. I immediately caught this one. Fun!
fatbass.jpg

Last edited:

dank1296

Hey Ramblin Wreck i ended up with 14 bass 1 crappie after i talked to you mostly trolling shiners and few on small deep diving crankbait. Alot of surface activity today they liked the cloud cover.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 21

RamblinWreck

You did better than I, but I am happy! I didn't know you could troll with live shiners; how do you hook them? Thru the lips and free line behind the boat?

dank1296

Light line 4lb test which i double up from a swivel to hook about 3 feet add couple small split shots 8 inches above hook. troll on lowest speed about 1.5 mph they wear them out many double hook ups

SASS249

Just a reminder Rambling Wreck that if you run a trolling motor on a kayak you need to register it. I know for a fact that there are DNR Rangers who will write a ticket in a minute for an unregisred kayak using a trolling motor.