Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

Found a couple more 'crackers. Haven't really found a hot spot yet.
cracker2.jpg
cracker3.jpg

RamblinWreck

Northwest end of lake, there is a little bridge you can go under Roscoe Collette Rd. Only about 6 feet of water under there and not many fish.

dank1296

Looks like some heavy rain coming in thursday. Looking to go friday never fished after lot of rain does yellow creek muddy up the water and hows fishing creek area when the currents flowing good.

jocko755

Rain ought to be the ringing of a dinner bell for fall feeding!

OK - so I knew of that - but considered it more of a culvert. Never passed thru it to the other side yet. Just wanted to make sure. I still haven't paddled every inch of the lake and didn't want to miss a bridge.

RamblinWreck

@dank1296 : The creek is usually only 2-3 feet deep up at the waterfall end, i think it is silted up a bit. Last time I fished after a rain was only for bass, and I caught one nice spot on a small crankbait by the waterfall, but the creek gets full of leaves, pine needles, and other detritus that collects and circulates in the eddy, and gets on your lure.

I've been fishing out a bit where the water drops down to 9-12 feet deep, throwing wigglers under the branches for 'crackers on UL gear. I've been catching a lot of the small (8-12 inch) channel cats that were stocked (if I leave my bait on the bottom too long), but they are mostly too small to eat, so I release the slimy lil' things. I did eat one that I gut-hooked. I've yet to catch my first crappie, but I've only been fishing small jigs, Bobby Garland and panfish stingers, but ain't found any yet. I am rigging me up a minnow bucket for the yak with an aerator and lid, maybe minners will change my luck there. I've never been much of a crappie fisherman, but I sure got the bug to catch them.

I'll join you Friday.

dank1296

I ve had a change of plans gonna go Deer hunting this weekend gonna leave lunchtime friday should be back on Lathem next tuesday with the cool down

dank1296

Gonna try Lathem in morning if not raining first actual fall weather trip hope to find some crappie but the bass should be at it also i would think.

RamblinWreck

Man, they were on fire this morning. Yes, they were! I fished from 8-2, and caught a bunch! Nice ones, too, mostly 17-19 inches and 2-4 lb fish. It was great. My arm got tired of reeling in fat bass around 11, so I started trying for shell crackers with wigglers, and also throwing small jigs for crappie. Nothing but small bream were biting, and I have YET to catch a single crappie on that lake. I did hook one monster shell on a curly tail jig, but he released himself on his own recognizance before I got him in the boat. I was so surprised I got a hit on the jig, I forgot to jerk.

All the bass (I stopped counting around 10) hit a chartreuse shad spybait. I'll add some pics later.
ETA Pics:
Lat101518_1.jpgLat101518_2.jpgLat101518_3.jpg
Lat101518_4.jpgLat101518_5.jpgLat101518_6.jpg

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

I might get some minnows and join you for Tuesday. I want to get on some crappie. I saw a couple guys looked like they were fishing for crappie - trolling motor up front with long rods sticking out. I stopped to chat with one fellow who confirmed he was trolling minnows for crappie, but he wasn't too talkative otherwise. Then, I caught a magnum spot about 3-4 lbs right in front of him on the spybait. He clammed right up. Ha!

jocko755

Nice job Rambling

I got a late start fishing between 1-430. When I first got there to park - fish were busting in many spots. By the time I launched - they settled down.

I caught 2 on a jig and that was it.

Attachments

• 20181015_161515.jpg
    20181015_161515.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

RamblinWreck

Wow, that is a nice haul! What depth were you letting your spybait fail to before you started reeling in? Just curious how you determine the depth.

They sink about a foot a sec, so I first cast I count 5 sec, next cast I count 7, then 10, then 12, and so on, and once I get bit, I use that count. It seems they come up, bust the shad, and then go back down. When on top, I throw right there and reel thru them after a sec or two. I was using a 12 count most of the time I got bit while they were down. Most action was main lake off the points.

dank1296

I can verify that the bass are on fire. Caught more spots today than LM. Probably caught 18-20 total. Several nice spots on spybait plus several others dropshot live shiners mostly in 25-35 foot. No crappie though and i tried for hour or so small jig tipped with minnow. water temp 71 and good topwater bite

Attachments

• IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 7

dank1296

Slow thursday after the cold front high pressure. Caught 9-10 nothing over 2 lbs. Not much top water bite today.

RamblinWreck

Fished 8-2 today; lots of schooling on top then died off around 11. Especially schooling in my new spot - but there was a boat there already and he didn't leave for hours. Doh!
Caught one good LM about 3 lbs on the spybait, then a few more, but the rest were smaller. Started bream fishing and caught 8 fat crackers for supper on wigglers, in spite of the wind blowing me around, and getting a zillion snags. On the way to take out, fish came up right by me - I threw the spybait in there - fish on - about an 18" hard-fighting spot - a nice end to a nice day.

jocko755

Hit the lake today 1p-4p. Caught 3 largemouth dragging deep jigs. Saw an occasional spot busting bait on the surface and against shore but by the time you paddle over to cast, they disappear. Usually coming back up in the spot you just left. Chasing the blow ups can make your crazy.

I am a firm believer in catch and release. I hate to see a stringer of 10 bass pulled from the lake - but it's a common occurrence lately and in most lakes I fish. I think very few people practice catch and release. If everyone pulls a stinger of bass each time they fish, the numbers will surely drop. I think Hollis Lathem will likely become more difficult to fish over time. Nothing can be done since it is the legal limit. Oh well. I don't have a problem with panfish - which are better table fare.

I trust someone (a biologist) will monitor the fish population and overall health of the fishery. It's been good, I'd hate to see it get ruined.

Attachments

• 20181023_134104.jpg
    20181023_134104.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 7