Lathem Lately?

RamblinWreck

Fished yesterday and today using very light tackle and 4 lb test for crappie, using jigs and small shiners.

Yesterday I caught a couple small bass on the shiners, and one decent LM about 2-3 lbs (hit a white/chartreuse crappie jig), but got skunked on the crappie. It was cold, but not very windy.

Today I returned with most of my shiners from yesterday, and it was a bit windy, especially in the afternoon. I used this to my advantage, setting up to let the wind drift me down some shoreline with a medium shiner on a simple rig of a #4 hook with splitshot. I trailed the shiner out behind me, and let it drift. Tried the crappie jigs as well. Nothing until around 1PM when a decent LM about 3 lbs grabbed a shiner. It was quite a fight on a flimsy rod with light line, but I got him in the boat for pics and a quick release. Ended up getting skunked on the crappie, but I did catch 5-6 decent bass, mostly LM and one spot. On the way to take out, I set up one more drift accross a main lake point, and was rewarded when the biggest bass of the day attacked the shiner, which was the biggest one I had in the bucket. It was an epic battle, and I finally got her to the net. It was 20 inches and fat, I estimate 4 lbs or better. Fun on UL gear! All fish released.

Attachments

• lb121318_3.jpg
    lb121318_3.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 11
  • lb121318_2.jpg
    lb121318_2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 16
  • lb121318_1.jpg
    lb121318_1.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 24

dank1296

Nice thats some spring summertime size bass. Looks like some warmer weather coming up but wont be able to get on lake till mid next week

SeaGhost130

I hit Lathem around 10am this morning. Wind was pretty brisk today and made for a challenging day. The fishing was tough, but I managed to avoid the skunk today by pulling this chunk from one of the coves on the north end of the lake.

Caught on a Strike King Chart Sexy Shad deep diver crankbait in about 12 foot of water.

IMG_3302.JPGIMG_3303.JPG

RamblinWreck

Nice.

Tues and Wed are looking good if the forecast holds. I'm thinking some big shiners would be the ticket to some giant ditch pickles. I want to catch one over 10 lbs.

RamblinWreck

It's a little out of my way, but I go to Hammonds. Not sure what is on the Canton/west side of the county. I'll be headed there in the morning. Couldn't go today; got too many hunydoos. (n)

SeaGhost130

I've never been there, but that would be a haul for me to go there and back over to the lake. However, if it increased my chances of catching some big fish, I just might have to try it.

RamblinWreck

A quick internet search "live bait near Canton GA" shows several places, but I have no experience with them.

RamblinWreck

New boat, so Lanier for me.

Coenen

I'm thinking of making the trip up to Lathem on Sunday weather looks choice! May depend on if Lanier is back right by Saturday.

dank1296

Great day on Lathem 6 bass and 3 crappie. One other boat cloudy none to light wind. Water temp was between 51-53. Cleaned 3 bass and 2 crappie the last one was 2lb 10 oz on digital scale. Might take to the taxidermist largest ive ever caught. Almost 17" long. Caught all on medium shiners downline 20-40 feet. Was marking them pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 19

Coenen

Great day on Lathem 6 bass and 3 crappie. One other boat cloudy none to light wind. Water temp was between 51-53. Cleaned 3 bass and 2 crappie the last one was 2lb 10 oz on digital scale. Might take to the taxidermist largest ive ever caught. Almost 17" long. Caught all on medium shiners downline 20-40 feet. Was marking them pretty good
You try a spoon? Seems like with all of the threads in that lake a 1/2 or 6/10 Flex-it would murder them.

dank1296

never have but someone who knows how to fish spoons could probably do pretty good especially a day with light wind like today

Coenen

never have but someone who knows how to fish spoons could probably do pretty good especially a day with light wind like today
Ain't nothing to it, but to do it! You could even work one in with your downlines. Just let it down, lift, drop on a semi-tight line, jiggle, repeat. A lot like you might with a dropshot.

Don't get fooled by these dudes you see really working the crap out of them. A 1-inch long dying shad hardly does anything so dramatic. Especially in 50 degree water. Find a good school, drop down, and give it a go.

dank1296

Had Lathem to myself Wed. Air temp started at 38 1000 water temp 45. Fished medium shiners on drop shot had 4 bites caught 2. Both were nice one 14 inch other 151/2. Was breezy cold but had good time marked fish deep but most had lock jaw. No bass which was a unusual. Warmed up to 50 degrees and found water as warm as 47. Looks like that will change next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 9