Latter stand ratchet Straps

7Mag Hunter

Chain and metal (not aluminum) turnbuckle.......screwdriver to turn turnbuckle to get tight...I do use strap halfway up ladder to make sure it is stable when i climb....

Jim Baker

Staff member
I pretty much need to replace all my ratchet straps . I Want to hear what you guys are using heavy straps cable chain and how you do it I’m tired of these straps. just Looking for some longer lasting options thanks

Swing set chain and turn buckles on permanent stands. Slide a piece of garden hose slipped on the chain where the chain is against the tree. And I put the chain at about 8 or 9 ft. up above any section joints then tighten. Then another chain just below the platform attached to the ladder. I don't try to put a chain or strap attached to the back of the platform and around the tree.

Tripod stands, 1/4" cable attached to the center of the platform run to a mobile home anchor center of the legs with a turnbuckle to keep tight.

Last edited:

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Never thought about a small load binder makes sense.The Turnbuckles do you guys give them a shot of WD or oil every now and again

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have a few stands that are very solidly attached onto various trees and each one of them have a length of chain (the size and type used for porch swings) that is tightly secured onto both wooden (treated) and also metal ladder stands with a "turn-buckle" and eyebolts and is secured completely around the tree. I ALSO HAVE A HEAVIER TYPE CHAIN THAT IS LOCKED ONTO AN EYEBOLT ON EACH SIDE OF MY LADDER AND SECURED COMPLETELY AROUND THE TREE WITH A MASTERLOCK. THESE TYPE STANDS ARE AS SOLID AS SITTING ON THE GROUND AS THERE IS NO SWAYING ETC AT ALL.

THIS SET UP WORKS GREAT BUT MAKE SURE TO LOOSEN THE TWO CHAINS SOMEWHAT AT THE END OF EACH SEASON SO THAT THE TREE CAN GROW AND IT WON'T TEAR UP YOUR CHAINS, TURN-BUCKLES AND LOCKS ETC. JUST MAKE SURE TO RE-TIGHTEN IT IN PLACE BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO HUNT THE FOLLOWING SEASON. THE FACT IS THAT YOU DON'T GET TOO MANY CHANCES AT FALLING OUT OF A LADDER STAND THAT IS NOT SECURED PROPERLY.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

SWAMPFOX

I second what others have said here about chains, turnbuckles and load binders. The small load binder I use has a hole in the handle that I use to lock the load binder to the chain to help prevent theft. Also on my lease we are allowed to permanently attach our stands to any sweet gum trees. Pines and oaks are off limits for attaching nails, screws, etc. but sweet gums are fair game.

j_seph

I have considered plastic coated cable and turn buckles