Lawn tractor recommendations

wtailchaser

Looking for a new lawn tractor. Thinking about Husqvarna YTH22V46, YTH24V48, or John Deere 130. This will be for an approx 2 acre mostly flat area. Any opinions on the Kohler engine vs Briggs and Stratton?

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I have the Husqvarna YTH24V42LS. Read through multiple sources to step up to the Kawasaki. I'm glad I did. It has been several years and no disappointment with the motor.

Buying through a commercial source and getting the fabricated deck as per Cmp1 is a must. Don't skimp here. My 42" actually has 3 small blades, and they are thick. You won't likely bend one on that bulging tree root. I used to hit every low spot with the old stamped steel deck Murray, hammer/bend the deck, replace the blade, rinse, lather, repeat. No more of that with the Husqvarna, as a matter of fact, when we first got it, my wife was nibbling away at the wooded edge of the yard, hit something, but kept right on going, only to discover later, it was a rusted out bicycle rim from the neighbors yard. Hot knife through butter...

I was a bit disappointed in some of the trim items. The gas tank view window trim broke pretty fast, I lost one of the rubber bumper covers, and the deck height handle seemed to hit trees and bushes when we tried to cut too close. I ended up removing it and bending the handle upward to remain inside the rear fender's vertical plane.

We decided on this model instead of the equal size zero turn, primarily due to my wife's comfort with the yard tractor layout. Surprisingly, it has a fantastic turning radius with the LS rear differential, and steering system. Another plus is the speed, it cooks, for a lawn tractor, and being able to quickly reverse, and not have to change gears in forward makes mowing reasonably fast for a lawn tractor. It cuts so close to objects, there's usually not much to weed after we finish cutting.

With all that said, it fired up last week, and cut the yard without a hitch.

The Deere of course is popular too, with a loyal following, I just felt like I got a bit more for the dollar in terms of overall value with the Husqvarna (fab deck model).

...Well, so, things appear to have changed, not as many choices with the Kawasaki engine...Here's the closest one to mine.
YT48DXLS

Another good overview of the LS line, (this one has the Kohler engine...)
Kohler YT48DXLS

Try Habersham Hardware, or Lanier Outdoor Equipment for pricing. Getting the fab deck, automatically upgrades most everything else on the tractor. The big box stores likely won't have the fab deck models available, the reinforced stamped deck models just don't cut it. Ha Ha. It is absolutely worth the difference.

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
I have the Husqvarna YTH24V42LS. Read through multiple sources to step up to the Kawasaki. I'm glad I did. It has been several years and no disappointment with the motor.

Buying through a commercial source and getting the fabricated deck as per Cmp1 is a must. Don't skimp here. My 42" actually has 3 small blades, and they are thick. You won't likely bend one on that bulging tree root. I used to hit every low spot with the old stamped steel deck Murray, hammer/bend the deck, replace the blade, rinse, lather, repeat. No more of that with the Husqvarna, as a matter of fact, when we first got it, my wife was nibbling away at the wooded edge of the yard, hit something, but kept right on going, only to discover later, it was a rusted out bicycle rim from the neighbors yard. Hot knife through butter...

I was a bit disappointed in some of the trim items. The gas tank view window trim broke pretty fast, I lost one of the rubber bumper covers, and the deck height handle seemed to hit trees and bushes when we tried to cut too close. I ended up removing it and bending the handle upward to remain inside the rear fender's vertical plane.

We decided on this model instead of the equal size zero turn, primarily due to my wife's comfort with the yard tractor layout. Surprisingly, it has a fantastic turning radius with the LS rear differential, and steering system. Another plus is the speed, it cooks, for a lawn tractor, and being able to quickly reverse, and not have to change gears in forward makes mowing reasonably fast for a lawn tractor. It cuts so close to objects, there's usually not much to weed after we finish cutting.

With all that said, it fired up last week, and cut the yard without a hitch.

The Deere of course is popular too, with a loyal following, I just felt like I got a bit more for the dollar in terms of overall value with the Husqvarna (fab deck model).

...Well, so, things appear to have changed, not as many choices with the Kawasaki engine...Here's the closest one to mine.
YT48DXLS

Another good overview of the LS line, (this one has the Kohler engine...)
Kohler YT48DXLS

Try Habersham Hardware, or Lanier Outdoor Equipment for pricing. Getting the fab deck, automatically upgrades most everything else on the tractor. The big box stores likely won't have the fab deck models available, the reinforced stamped deck models just don't cut it. Ha Ha. It is absolutely worth the difference.
Ours is 7 yrs old,the 52 in with the Kawasaki and fab deck,,,,really the only thing I wish it had was a fuel gauge,,,,good luck seeing thru the plastic window,,,,good fuel economy with the 24 hp,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Husky 46. Good mower. BTW, Kawasaki engines are about the best on the planet if you can get one.

rayjay

IMO, for 2 acres you DO NOT want the K46 transmission. You need to upgrade to at least the K66. Here is a link with a chart showing which transmission each unit has. You can also browse this site to see how many people have had issues with the K46 trans and also check out the different brands specific page. I'm JD loyal but I only mess with the older stuff that is real heavy duty. Power steering, hyd deck lift, etc :) . I only have about a 1/3 acre of grass but hey !! Free country !!

https://www.mytractorforum.com/64-husqvarna-dixon/1269986-2018-husqvarna-tractor-mower-chart.html

transfixer

Only advice I have is spend a little more money and buy a lawn tractor from a John Deere dealer or Husqvarna dealer,, do NOT buy one from one of the big box stores if you want it to last, there is a difference in the units places like Home Depot and Lowes sell, and the units that stand alone dealers sell, the dealer units are better made, better quality components. I've owned a couple of JD lawn tractors, both bought at dealers, my current one is 14yrs old and still as good as when I purchased it, and I don't baby it either, for my money I like the Kawasaki engines, but Kohler is likely just as good. I'd rather have either than B&S

I'm also mowing 1 1/2 acres every couple weeks in the summer

wtailchaser

Thank you for the advice. Grateful for the recommendations. normaldave, quite an informative write up! Thank you all for the links as well.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Ha! Crossed my mind.

Seriously, I sold every piece of lawn equipment I had 10 yrs ago, got a very dependable guy that comes twice a month, mows, weedeats, edges, blows off the driveway. $100 per month.

Reactions: Dub

Jimmypop

Unless you just need a tractor, go to a zero. Costs a little more, but with 2 acres you won't regret it. Saves a lot of time and if you have never used one, it almost makes mowing fun again. I use a Hustler 54 from Lowes. Like it.

lonewolf247

Zero turn, with a Kawasaki engine,would be my suggestion for 2 acres. I went with a toro 50” cut and Kawasaki engine. The engine is commercial grade, but the deck on this one, is more the homeowner grade. Bought it brand new, for about $1200 off because one of the handles was broke off in shipping. It was next to another mower, which had the opposite handle broke off. They allowed me to swap the good handle onto my mower, and complete the sale.

The only problem I’ve had in about 6 years is the solenoid just went out. Gonna change that in the next couple weeks. The Kawasaki has been flawless.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Which ever you decide on, DON'T buy it from a box store like HD. What they have ARE NOT the real thing. Just something with a sticker on it. This comes from experience.