LBL declares war on wild hogs!

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Experts warned against the hunting of wild hogs. Not only is it illegal, it's part of how the population explosion started.

“Hunting wild hogs is counterproductive to agency eradication efforts,” Brunjes said. “Hogs that are hunted disperse into new areas and become very difficult to find and euthanize."

I find this part very interesting.

transfixer

Experts warned against the hunting of wild hogs. Not only is it illegal, it's part of how the population explosion started.

“Hunting wild hogs is counterproductive to agency eradication efforts,” Brunjes said. “Hogs that are hunted disperse into new areas and become very difficult to find and euthanize."

I find this part very interesting.

Sounds like that guy learned everything he knows about hogs from some textbook, with no real world experience,

Geno67

They've been hunted with aircraft since the 70's. No way to remove hogs completely unless you back out and nuke them from orbit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It is a known fact that most new populations of hogs are started by hog hunters releasing them. Outlawing hog hunting, as stupid as it sounds, is one of the most effective ways of keeping hogs from spreading.

bany

LBL was full of hogs back in the days of farming and living there. I wonder if those are the same line of hogs.
I’d say hunting could take out the hogs but very unlikely in this day or time. A testament to the on ongoing topic of how things have changed in the hunting world.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
It is a known fact that most new populations of hogs are started by hog hunters releasing them. Outlawing hog hunting, as stupid as it sounds, is one of the most effective ways of keeping hogs from spreading.

Doesn't sound stupid at all to me. Makes perfect sense.

transfixer

Hunting is very disruptive to trapping when you're trying to get pigs on bait, especially with trap shy pigs.

From what I've seen over the years Hogs will stray from an area after they've eaten the available food, they'll move on to a new area, even when not hunted, thats been our experience over in NE.Ga, we never hunted them for the first 5 or 6 years tehy started showing up, still don't specifically hunt them, but they stay and while and move on,

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
From what I've seen over the years Hogs will stray from an area after they've eaten the available food, they'll move on to a new area, even when not hunted, thats been our experience over in NE.Ga, we never hunted them for the first 5 or 6 years tehy started showing up, still don't specifically hunt them, but they stay and while and move on,

I don't disagree, but when you're providing the food by pre-baiting a trap they can get run out of the area when someone starts shooting at them.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think hunters with good dogs, that know what they are doing can make a big dent in the hog population. I have friends that do nuisance hunting for farmers in South Ga and have personally seen them kill 57 hogs in one day. The problem with that, the farm next to it does not allow this type hunting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
One farmer/friend told me once when I asked to dog his place...that's not the neighborly thing to do...run your problems next door. What can you say to that?
I have been along and killed very large numbers..not 57. Also shot them in fields and taken large numbers.