Leaking Toilets

TAS

Have two leaking toilets. Tried to just replace the rubber seals but that did not stop it. Looks like I will have to replace the whole inside. I tried to remove the part that is screwed into the bottom but it won't budge. Are they glued in? I tend to break more than I fix...so wanted to be careful. Any tips on getting it out or should I just use more elbow grease?

Nugefan

where is it leaking ???

from tank to bowl or onto floor somewhere ....

the flapper valve replacement should stop leaking into bowl from tank ....

sinclair1

Need more info. You leaking on floor or just losing water and causing the water to refill?

TAS

just causing bowl to refill. Not onto floor. I changed the rubber rings but didn't help. Feel like I need to replace the whole center piece but can't get it out. Not sure how forceful I should be.

TAS

It is not a flapper valve. It is a plastic piece screwed into the bottom of the tank. It has a sleeve around it that goes up and down to flush. They make a replacement for the whole thing....just not sure how to get out to replace.

Artfuldodger

I had one like that. It didn't have a flapper. Just a float that went up and down on a flat rubber gasket. I ended up changing the whole overflow pipe with a flapper.

You have to remove the tank from the bowl. The tube is held on with a plastic nut underneath the tank. You should be able to remove the 2 or 3 nuts from the bolts holding the tank to the bowl. You might can get a screwdriver in the slot of the bolts inside the tank. Usually they are rusted away. You can sometimes grab the bolt with pliers or visegrips to hold it while removing the nuts. You might could cut the brass bolts with a hacksaw. Use as hack saw that only holds one end of the blade. That way you can extend the free end of the blade between the tank and bowl.

Here is a kit with all of the gaskets you will need.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-...81313818&sr=8-2&keywords=toilet+overflow+tube

Josey

It is not a flapper valve. It is a plastic piece screwed into the bottom of the tank. It has a sleeve around it that goes up and down to flush. They make a replacement for the whole thing....just not sure how to get out to replace.

Probably the correct answer. Been there / done that. If you floor is not wet, then the constant running water IS inside your tank. Press down on the filler valve. If the water level in your tanks stops rising (watch it closely), then it's the flat flapper valve. If the running water doesn't stop within a few minutes, then the plastic part above the flapper valve has chipped or split.

In other words, careful observation will give you your answer. Oh, and a replacement part won't likely cause you more than $10-15 and a half hour of elbow grease.

Your choice on whether you want to sponsor the liberal big orange empire gay pride parade supplier, or the other big box home improvement store to fix your problem. Both will have your part. Perhaps even Walmart might carry your part. But I wouldn't depend on that.

Edited: To replace the entire valve, flush your toilet until all is gone that can be gone. Then, turkey-baster or sponge the rest of the water out, before you start loosening the tank or removing that valve. Or, place a few towels under the tank.

Or, call a plumber, and be prepared to be plumbed.

Artfuldodger

The reason I changed mine of that design is because the gaskets didn't last very long and were expensive.

Make sure your ballcock isn't the source of your leak by filling the tank too full and overflowing. But if you are seeing the tank drain slowly with no water leaking into the overflow tube, then it's probably the gasket under the float or flapper.

Josey

The reason I changed mine of that design is because the gaskets didn't last very long and were expensive.

Make sure your ballcock isn't the source of your leak by filling the tank too full and overflowing. But if you are seeing the tank drain slowly with no water leaking into the overflow tube, then it's probably the gasket under the float or flapper.

Most likely true. OP - time to remove the tank lid and study what is going on. No magic, foolproof answers here (or anywhere). Gonna take some "figuring out what's going on" (with some leads on where to look). :)

rayjay

I REALLY like the Korky set up. Once it's installed it only takes a couple of minutes [ and no tools ] to change the water valve or the flapper valve in the future when they eventually fail. I keep spares on hand.

Killdee

What brand toilet? If a kohgler theres a stem in some that comes lose by twisting, they often break, available at HD for 8.97. We always keep 1-2 in the truck along with gaskets fill valves and flappers. In a traditional flapper we put a few drops of blue food coloring in and can watch where its pulled in. Often there is a build up on the sealing edge where your flapper gasket rests or the gasket gets malformed , most often by women using chlorine tablets and products in the tank, eats up all your rubber parts.

TAS

Thanks for the replies. I figured out that I had to take the tank off. Did this and thought all was good.....didn't put the rubber gasket between toilet and tank on right. Water all over the floor. Will fix tomorrow....at least I know sort of what I am doing now. Thanks again.