Leases vs DIY vs In State

Gaducker

Diy out of state. Simply because you have tons of options. In a lease you have 3, 4 maybe 10 pits if your lucky to choose from and it costs out the behind. Now granted my boat was not cheap but I use it for more than duck huntin. I have a buddy who has a boat and we have 4 adults and a few kids who hunt with us we split gas rooms ect ect. We pack in a crew cab and double tow the boats all over. the only think that limits us to different places to hunt is what state we buy a license in because we are cheap we stick to one state per year. For what some folks spend on a lease we could hunt for years. We got to old and lazy to stomp swamps around here along time ago.

Long Cut

Diy out of state. Simply because you have tons of options. In a lease you have 3, 4 maybe 10 pits if your lucky to choose from and it costs out the behind. Now granted my boat was not cheap but I use it for more than duck huntin. I have a buddy who has a boat and we have 4 adults and a few kids who hunt with us we split gas rooms ect ect. We pack in a crew cab and double tow the boats all over. the only think that limits us to different places to hunt is what state we buy a license in because we are cheap we stick to one state per year. For what some folks spend on a lease we could hunt for years. We got to old and lazy to stomp swamps around here along time ago.

Going through that debate now... any lease also requires an atv/sxs and trailer which ain't cheap either. But we had a jam up hunt Saturday morning on a MS rice field that had me debating if I'd ever hunt GA public again

JMB

I do both, out of state diy and lease.

Lease gives you freedoms and weekends of uncrowded hunting. You also have more control. Downside is you are not as mobile, if they ducks ain't there...they ain't there, and a lot of leases are just money takers that fail to manage for waterfowl.

Our lease in Miss is flooded Beans and corn. It ain't cheap and the other expenses are sled blinds plus grass, side by side utv, ice eater, enclosed trailer, trailer for utv, and before we built out the bunk house, hotels. But we have a place to train dogs, hunt when we want how we want without worrying someone will be in our spot, and we have a good number of ducks from Christmas till the end.

Public means a boat. You can walk in but it limits you. It is also a challenge on weekends to remain unmolested and in some of the timber areas we hunt, I've personally nearly gotten into fist fights and not because I'm aggressive, because the other party was.

Also, in Arkansas, they are limiting out of state hunting dates which I'm told may morph into more regulations for out of towners. I hunt some in Alabama as well, but that has been a real crap shoot for the last 5-7 years. Tennessee has great public land, but a draw on the best blinds on places like Sandy and Reelfoot. It's not that out of state diy is terribly difficult, but it requires a lot of scouting, learning to deal with crowds, and tons of off season work if you want to be successful.

Long Cut

Leases ain't cheap but if I wanted to get into a fist fight over a couple ducks I'd stay in Ga and avoid that 6+ hour ride...

We did have a guide see us at the truck with a limit when nobody else killed anything and he ended up hunting the blind next to us the following day... leases don't guarantee everything but at least the guys won't be right on top of you!

Does anyone know a ballpark cost for leasing land (200 acres) out of state, say in Arkansas, MS or Missouri.

What about just buying some land outright with a group of people?

Am curious if people have bought land out west who live in Georgia and feel like it is worth it to hunt there maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year.

Having a family, job and other responsibilities it would be hard to justify it, unless you could share the cost with a few friends.

across the river

Does anyone know a ballpark cost for leasing land (200 acres) out of state, say in Arkansas, MS or Missouri.

Am curious if people have bought land out west who live in Georgia and feel like it is worth it to hunt there maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year.

Having a family, job and other responsibilities it would be hard to justify it, unless you could share the cost with a few friends.

My questions to you would be "How much free time do you have," and "how quickly could you pack up and head out of state?" There was a time in my life I could just pack up and head out whenever I wanted. That was great because my buddies out there would call me to tell me the birds were there. I packed my stuff, headed that way, and stayed until the birds moved out and/or the action slowed down. If you are in a position to do that, then a lease is great, as long as you trust the guys you are in it with to shoot you straight. If you only have so many days off and you have to plan the days you are going to hunt weeks or months in advance, you may end up going out there when the weather and birds just don't cooperate. If you have tons of time off to hunt and plenty of money, the best route is have the lease but then keep your boat out there and hunt public land during the week if you need to. The frustrating thing about a lease is you may ride out there and see thousands of birds in a spot and hour before you get there, and then get to your spot and there is nothing there. Just, because you have a lease in Mississippi, Arkansas, or any other flyby state, doesn't mean there are always going to be birds on it when you go out there to hunt. There have been plenty of times we spent the night at the house on the club and then drove and hour to public land to hunt, because that is where the birds were at the time.

Long Cut

The lease is honestly the cheapest cost. They'll run around $5k for a pit blind in a field maybe 80-100 acres split between 4-8 guys sometimes there's a limit on guys per blind.

Main cost is in the atv/sxs, trailer, fuel, hotel and food while you're out there. It cost us about $250 a guy every weekend and that was 3 guys splitting a hotel and gas.

4 trips out there and you could have another lease...

hrstille

The lease is honestly the cheapest cost. They'll run around $5k for a pit blind in a field maybe 80-100 acres split between 4-8 guys sometimes there's a limit on guys per blind.

Main cost is in the atv/sxs, trailer, fuel, hotel and food while you're out there. It cost us about $250 a guy every weekend and that was 3 guys splitting a hotel and gas.

4 trips out there and you could have another lease...

Y'all need to find a camper. It make life easier