Least poundage you have kill a deer with?

BowanaLee

I shot plenty with a tad over 40 lbs but I quit. Every now and then this'll happen. Never found him. My shoulder wouldn't let me up the poundage so I switched to a xbow. I get pass throughs on everything now. It keeps me in the woods but I don't like it as much. Gotta do what cha gotta do.

Attachments

• arrow sticking in buck.jpg
    arrow sticking in buck.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 37

gadeerwoman

It's not the lowest poundage you 'can' kill a deer with...it's the lowest poundage you can 'consistently' and 'ethically' kill a deer with! Lower poundages you are more likely to lose a lot of deer...not something that is fun or to be admired.

Ihunt

My wife has killed a few deer pulling about 38lbs and a DL of 24”. All had holes on both sides. Sharp 2 blade heads are the ticket. This was before I knew about heavier arrows being better and doubt her arrows weighed much more than 300 grains.

It doesn’t take much to kill a deer but most people are not patient enough to wait for the shot angle and distance that is required to kill humanely when using very light and short draw setups.

Someone above posted having a max yardage of 12 yards. That’s someone that knows his limitations.

transfixer

I first started bowhunting using an old Browning Nomad compound, round wheels, 50# pull, those arrows were slooooow ! I shot a doe at probably 20yds, lung shot, didn't go all the way through, I did retrieve her as she went about 50yds and piled up, the next year I upgraded to a faster/higher poundage bow. I don't remember what broadheads I was using at the time, but I would think anything under 50lbs you would need to use some super sharp heads, probably just two bladed in order to get good penetration, and limit your distance to what you know you are consistently accurate at.