Leaves in food plot?

Bullochcountyhunter

Both of my 1/4 acre food plots are of course surrounded by trees. I normally rake it all up twice a year and burn it and then spread the ash back out when I plant. I've been reading on here about the throw and mow method. Would this work with leaves? The deer keep both plots ate to ground level so nothing standing tall enough to use. As of now most of the plots are covered in leaves and will get worse before spring. I didn't do leaf removal this year because there really wasn't anything in plots to worry about the leaves shading out.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My dad has a leaf rake that goes behind his 4 wheeler and he puts loads of leaves in his garden every year and disks them in !

Bullochcountyhunter

Leaves will prevent germination it's their job
Yes I know the leaves will, I'm asking if using the throw.and mow method would work on them. As in spread seed and mulch up the leaves. Trying to keep from having to till the plots twice a year ever year. No tractor and even doing 1/2 acre takes time with just a tiller.

Bullochcountyhunter

My dad has a leaf rake that goes behind his 4 wheeler and he puts loads of leaves in his garden every year and disks them in !
I was wondering if that would work too. But I'm trying to keep from tilling the plots twice a year every year. No tractor and takes time with a tiller lol.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If you get your seed to contact bare soil and put mulched leaves over top, you will get something to grow. I would stick with wheat and small seeds like clover and brassicas.

GeorgeShu

Hey neighbor, Bullock County here too.
I think it depends on just how thick a layer of leaves you have and how big each individual leaf is. Only you know those answers.
Too thick a mat of leaves implies the seeds cannot reach the soil, wide leaves like sycamores would catch more seed than say water oak or live oak leaves.
They also create a larger shade effect. If the leaf mat is light enough you may be able to get away throwing seed out and then disturbing the leaves to rattle them off the leaves down onto the soil below. A good rain may be enough to do that.
Leaf decay is slow now with the cooler weather but will soon begin as soils warm, that will help when it occurs.You have plenty of time before spring seeding so relax, give Mother Nature time to do her thing, reevaluate in a couple of months.
I would at least consider trying to throw some seed in an area and see what happens. If they germinate, super, if not then figure out a way to disturb the leaves enough to allow the seeds to get to the soil.
Good luck

Kaisrus6

If its only a 1/4 acre plot, then take a leaf blower to it to ensure you get the seed to soil contact necessary.

Bullochcountyhunter

Hey neighbor, Bullock County here too.
I think it depends on just how thick a layer of leaves you have and how big each individual leaf is. Only you know those answers.
Too thick a mat of leaves implies the seeds cannot reach the soil, wide leaves like sycamores would catch more seed than say water oak or live oak leaves.
They also create a larger shade effect. If the leaf mat is light enough you may be able to get away throwing seed out and then disturbing the leaves to rattle them off the leaves down onto the soil below. A good rain may be enough to do that.
Leaf decay is slow now with the cooler weather but will soon begin as soils warm, that will help when it occurs.You have plenty of time before spring seeding so relax, give Mother Nature time to do her thing, reevaluate in a couple of months.
I would at least consider trying to throw some seed in an area and see what happens. If they germinate, super, if not then figure out a way to disturb the leaves enough to allow the seeds to get to the soil.
Good luck
Thank you sir, kinda what I expected for a answer. It's just various oak leaves and pine straw. I'm gonna have to rake/blow them.again come.spring and burn them. Didn't do it this fall and have a two foot high leaf berm around the plots now. It was just a idea I had after reading the various throw and mow posts on here.