Legal weapons

No Lead shot for waterfowl was implemented 1987-88 waterfowl season( except for 16 and 20 gauge)then in 1989-90 waterfowl season ALL lead shot was band for waterfowl hunting. Killer and I shot RELOADED lead shotshells until the band was implemented and the first steel shotshells were JUNK it would knock ducks down over the decoys at 30-35 yards and took 3 - 5 water swats to kill them.Now with all the shotshell Technologies steel shot kills them dead.Killer those were the days lead shot and no Duck COMMANDERS swarming the marsh with no respect for other people.
I thought it was 89 . Can’t remember that far back. Yep only us old dogs. You and I remember when people ask us why we duck hunted.

The reason 16 and 2guage was because they had not steel shot loads on the shelf for hunters.

I thought it was 89 . Can’t remember that far back. Yep only us old dogs. You and I remember when people ask us why we duck hunted.
Steel was so poor that I shot hand fulls of down out of wood ducks with the most powerful steel you could buy and watched birds fly away with their guts hanging out of them.

That’s why the ten gauge came back and the 3 & 1/2 12 gauge chamber came out. You could not kill a goose or a big sea duck or even a mallard with. 3 inch steel.

robdobbs1983

Lot of places discharging a firearm is illegal. Been blessed to take many game animals, with many different weapons and methods. If it were legal, it would become common. People used to think a backflip on a dirtbike was impossible. Now a tripple backflip on one is suddenly possible. Technology is really dumbing people down, and making a lot of folks lazy. Gotta have a 50 bmg and thermal to kill a critter. I try to keep primitive skills and instincts alive.

Lot of places discharging a firearm is illegal. Been blessed to take many game animals, with many different weapons and methods. If it were legal, it would become common. People used to think a backflip on a dirtbike was impossible. Now a tripple backflip on one is suddenly possible. Technology is really dumbing people down, and making a lot of folks lazy. Gotta have a 50 bmg and thermal to kill a critter. I try to keep primitive skills and instincts alive.
Good Luck!

Duckbuster82

There is a difference between lazy and practical. I have killed game with many different weapons. But when it come to fowl, archery is just not exactly what you want. you may kill one or two but you will never do much to make it worth your time.

across the river

It's funny to me how someone who rides around in a air conditioned truck, has a smart phone, obviously a computer, central heating and A/C, a refrigerator, a television, likely an ATV, modern firearms and bows, and all of the other modern convinces of today, feels the need to call themselves primitive and others lazy. Your great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather said you don't have a clue what primitive is.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Initial question has airguns mentioned. As a method you'd like to be able to use. How Primitive is an airgun? And today's compound bows. That's all I hunt with for deer. I'm a big advocate for bow hunting. But there's nothing primitive about a compound bow in the way you aim it, the speed, and a stainless razor edged broadhead at the tip to do the killing. I'd imagine the people who were here before us didn't mess with winged fowl too awful much as a way to sustain their families, unless a relatively easy opportunity arose or a baited trap was set

Muldoon

Day always lets dem dang carpetbaggers kill moe mallard duck and gooses dan day dos in da South!!

robdobbs1983

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
You guys are clearly smarter than me... Glad you have a benelli s.b.e. i dont. My evap coil is cashed. So no a.c. currently. But based on my experience with my long dead respectable elders.... The type that would never keyboard criticize. Now is the time to prepare for winter. No doubt i utilize modern weapons. With 4 kids, limited time, and big responsibility.. Id be a fool not to. Looking forward and moving towards a simpler life. But not at the expense of my childrens fair shot. Happen to have access to grounded birds early a.m. bow would be proficient. Remember why i don't post much. **** you beer and exhaustion. One day ill be longbow ready... Bet your but ill use a synthetic string.

robdobbs1983

Is 1779 primitive? Couldn't find the cutoff. Savage ml110... With smokless powder at 2600fps seems to qualify.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Ever put your hands on one of those fancy Wikipedia German air guns?

robdobbs1983

No im just a troll who critiques other people. Canning trout and catfish,doing laundry, and laying out kids school clothes currently. So im slow to respond. Shouldn't have said airgun but did want people to know they are a primitive weapon. Honestly a wrist rocket and compound bow aren't primitive either. Thanks for dispelling my drinking posts. Should have thought it through with a sober mind. Im the only guy i know my age that does the "primitive"... Wrong i know. Things my grandparents taught me. And god forbid i expand our sport. Forgot the type punching keys. For all the forum members who have been helpful. Thanks a bunch. Have gained vast knowledge from many. But this aint for me.

We were floating a small river back in 1984 and I seen a mallard killed with a 20 ga and #5 lead, it was between 35 and 40 yards and that thing dropped like it was hit with sledge hammer.
Yes sir. I shot a 20 gauge 3 inch for years

across the river

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
You guys are clearly smarter than me... Glad you have a benelli s.b.e. i dont. My evap coil is cashed. So no a.c. currently. But based on my experience with my long dead respectable elders.... The type that would never keyboard criticize. Now is the time to prepare for winter. No doubt i utilize modern weapons. With 4 kids, limited time, and big responsibility.. Id be a fool not to. Looking forward and moving towards a simpler life. But not at the expense of my childrens fair shot. Happen to have access to grounded birds early a.m. bow would be proficient. Remember why i don't post much. **** you beer and exhaustion. One day ill be longbow ready... Bet your but ill use a synthetic string.

This is your line, and I quote, "Technology is really dumbing people down, and making a lot of folks lazy." You may be "primitive", but you obviously have a lot of milennial in you. Post what you want and everyone is supposed to be o.k. with it, but when people say something back you get your poor feelings hurt. If your skin isn't any thicker than that, then you are right, this forum thing ain't for you. Go spit that nonsense to someone who won't respond.

MudDucker

Staff member
And the pre-season insanity is in full bloom. :rofl: